• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Pilot Pool and Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You get head of the table. I flew the 32 first and I'll never be that good again.

Thanks for the head of the table but sadly I am not worthy anymore. Flying FiFi the Wonder Poodle around these past years has probably wiped out most of my hard core stick and rudder flying skills. I am one heck of a computer programmer now though. ;-)

Minimum Qualifications
-1500 hours turboprop/turbojet flight time
-FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi Engine Land and Instrument Rating, English Proficient Endorsement and successful completion of the Airline Transport Pilot Written Exam or;
-Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (Preferred) Multi Engine Land Rating and English Proficient Endorsement
-FCC Radio Telephone Operator Permit
-FAA First Class Medical Certificate
-23 years of age
-Ability to perform all essential duties in all aircraft and in all First Officer positions for aircraft operated by US Airways
-Current Passport
-Legal right to work in the United States of America
-Must be fluent (able to read, write, and speak) in the English Language
-Four year college degree (Preferred)

Actually it kinda did until this little nugget was uttered.....

[FONT=&quot]“Despite [/FONT][FONT=&quot]USAirways[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’ huge losses, President [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gangwal[/FONT][FONT=&quot] said he is optimistic about the airline’s future. Specifically, he said the 9/11 attacks have allowed the airline to restructure and downsize in ways that would have been impossible otherwise. The attacks allow the airline to invoke [/FONT][FONT=&quot]force majeure[/FONT][FONT=&quot] clauses in its contracts -- a legal term for an uncontrollable event that releases a party from its contractual obligations.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gangwal[/FONT][FONT=&quot] said he expects the changes to be permanent. ‘I don’t want to take advantage of the situation, … but the events of 9/11 have opened certain doors for the company that were pretty much closed before.’”[/FONT]

I remember reading that back in the fall of 2001 and thinking O crap.

Anyone remember the video Gangwal made just before 911 about they were going to restructure the airline with RJ's (he used KIND as an example)?

Ironically it arrived in my mailbox on 9-11-2001. I watched it on 9-13-2001 (because well none of us were working that day) and was like "guess this whole plan is out the window now"

If you get hired as a flight crew training instructor do you get to fly and can you get a seniority number for line flying?

If you get hired as a flight crew training instructor do you get to fly and can you get a seniority number for line flying?

No official program that I know of but there have been a few that started as FCTI's then got hired as a pilot and there are some FCTI's now that are trying to do the same thing.

As the contract (east) stands right now FCTI's do ground school (FOM/SYSTEMS) and paper trainer training but all sim training/checks are done by pilots on the seniority list.

Hey Deuce have you heard about some of the senior guys getting fed up with Airways and just walking away?

In the current bid that shows 50 new hires, it also showed 2 early retirements. The much anticipated stampede for the door may be more akin to heaps of dead wood being bulldozed out as their years of eligible service expire past 65.

We've had a number of people that were hired as GS instructors, and later interviewed and hired as pilots. We also have a few pilots that retired or retired medically that are now GS instructors.

To answer your question: I believe an instructor pilot does not automatically get a pilot seniority number.

Best of luck!

Latest resources

Back