• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways MEC files lawsuit against AWA MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't work there, so don't have a dog in this fight; but just how do you ever see the operations being combined??

You have to have a 'combined contract' before you can integrate the operations together; and the chances of that were Very Very 'dim' before the list came out, now is is probably "ZERO" I saw the contract (pay) proposal the company put out last month, and with "cheap A$$" drunk Parker (cost neutral guy), my guess is that was their "First, Last, Best and Final Offer"

So how do you realistically see the operations being combined?? Even if you get 'a little' more in the pay/contract area; you will NEVER have enough votes on the 'east side' now to get anything passed??????

That is why the 'list' doesn't really mean anything (my understanding), without a 'combined contract.' Just something to think about, for what's its worth.

DA

All good points...

The airline can be run "indefinitely" from what I understand with two separate pilot groups with separate metal. At this point I don't think it is hard to envision it staying that way into the foreseeable future...or until the airline's demise.

This "merger" was doomed from the get-go...forcing a prostitute with a heart of gold and a born loser no matter how hard he trys into a shotgun wedding...

Their offspring taint gonna be no good...

Last edited:
The metal is already combined. Easties fly west equipment and vice a versa.

Yes the operations can be run separately indefinitely as it should be. The easties should be downsized, retired out the back while the west is expanded. all new deliveries should go to the west. all new routes should go to the west. everything new should go to the west.

the west saved the jobs of every east pilot and the west should benefit from this point forward.

also the east should decertify alpo, and send the message to darth prater that his leadership is vacuum.

The metal is already combined. Easties fly west equipment and vice a versa.

Yes the operations can be run separately indefinitely as it should be. The easties should be downsized, retired out the back while the west is expanded. all new deliveries should go to the west. all new routes should go to the west. everything new should go to the west.

the west saved the jobs of every east pilot and the west should benefit from this point forward.

also the east should decertify alpo, and send the message to darth prater that his leadership is vacuum.

I do not think that is accurate. Then metal is not combined yet. Also, as an outsider looking in, this was not a fair merger. It is fair short term, but does not take into account the mass retirements that will happen on the East side in the next five years. If there would have been some fences put up, the West pilots could justify the decision. That being said, arguing it on this board is not going to do anything. If I were a West pilot, I would just keep my mouth shut and go on with my job. Long term, this is a windfall for the West. Why degrade the East guys that just got ******************** on? It just shows lack of professionalism and compassion. If I were an East guy or part of the East MEC, I would do everything in my power to try and get this binding agreement thrown out. It is probably impossible to do, but not signing a combined contract is possible and probably is exactly what will happen. If they delay it for a few years, it can act as a temporary fence.

I would like to think that most people are more objective than to truly believe this was not a symbiotic union. Yes, AAA was closer to actual liquidation, but let's not kid ourselves AWA would not be surviving let alone profitable without this merger. They needed AAA almost as much as it was the other way around. I don't have a dog in this fight, and yes the AAA fellas (or at least the vocal minority) seem to be acting a bit unreasonably but neither would be around and in the shape they are now without the other. To say the saving of jobs was one-sided is short sighted and somewhat obtuse in my opinion. Hey, What do I know, just a soon-too-be rookie here. Cheers and best to all on both sides, klr

From what I've seen on this board people that say, "I don't have a dog in this fight" or "outside looking in" either have no idea of what is going on or really do have a dog in the fight.

Heck, I fly out of PNS on a regular basis and for better or worse US Airways is one of the better options so it is in my personal interests at this point to see them succeed.. As for not knowing what I am talking about are you really trying to tell me that AWA's balance sheet was strong and headed in the right direction prior to the merger?

It’ really unbelievable. What does the East really think? By filing a lawsuit that will drag on for years that they can stiff arm the process? OK, I guess that will happen. But in the mean time they are losing out on a minimum 15% pay raise per month. Go Figure? Where are the top 515 Captains on the East side? You’d think they’d be raising holy heck to get a combined contract – every month that goes by is money they don’t pocket. There lifestyle isn’t changing one bit … they are the top dogs at the new company and they are sitting there silent. Who does the lawsuit try to protect? The fuloughees don’t want to come back anyway as evidenced by the poor acceptance rate. With no mass migration between domicles, life for the line pilot isn’t going to change much anyway. Stephens will drag the East down, and so far; there is no groundswell of Easties trying to have him recalled. Prater’s video (if you haven’t been to the ALPA web site to see it, you should) was a polite lesson on what ALPA’s policy will be. They are trying to give the East some room (and yes they delayed it another month on Monday, now no resolution till July), but I guess they are really giving them the rope to hang themselves. Problem is they want to drag the West down at the same time. Prater will not allow it to drag ALPA down. And I’ve said it before, Parker won’t let that happen to the company as a whole either – he will move assets to the West side and grow the West. If the East does not come around very quickly, expect the West to open Section 6 contract talks on our own and secure a new contract … and yes profits from the East and West section will fuel that increase in West Pay and Benefits. The East will be stuck on the Bankruptcy contract until 1 Jan 1010 … and then the talks just start. Expect about 4 more years of your Bankruptcy Contract before you’d get a pay raise. I just don’t get it. The East MEC is suing the West MEC … unfreaking believable way to start a new airline. Every West Pilot probably wishes we would have just let ‘em go under. We haven’t had a single new hire in 2.5 years while we “worked” to merge with the East, most of us are beginning to think it was a waste of time. Who on the East will stand up and prove that we can make a go of it without suing each other? At some point the goodwill of West pilots will give out and we’ll just be the Hatfields and McCoys – there is still some chance to prevent it.

Stephens will drag the East down, and so far; there is no groundswell of Easties trying to have him recalled.

Perhaps you missed the fact that so many AAA pilots showed up to the Herndon offices for the EC meeting a few weeks ago that there wasn't even enough room in the conference rooms for them. Well over 200 Easties were there in person to tell Darth Prater and the EC that they demand action from National on this. So, it's obvious that Captain Stephan (not Stephens) is acting on his pilots wishes. Unlike Darth Prater, Captain Stephan is actually doing what his membership is demanding.

And I’ve said it before, Parker won’t let that happen to the company as a whole either – he will move assets to the West side and grow the West. If the East does not come around very quickly, expect the West to open Section 6 contract talks on our own and secure a new contract .

And the new contract will suck...as all (both) the west's contracts have...

You sir...are definitely living in a dream world...

Welcome to the Majors.

Last edited:
I have jumped on East iron several times and found the majority of pilots to be intelligent decent human beings. The one time I had a problem was with an FO who was in the union. If he had said the things he said in the cockpit to me in a bar somewhere I would have broken him in half. Unfortunately I think slime balls like this guy are calling the shots over there and it reflects poorly on the rest. Best of luck to the good people on both sides, screw the rest.

Oh hp, your such a bad ass with that attitude, I bet the chicks really dig you!

"Broken him in half", ohhh, what a tough guy. A legend in your own mind, and obviously not OK with yourself. Are you going to post your height and weight again to intimidate us?

I really like your kitty cat avatar!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back