• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Jul 16 recall class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When Sausage starts to prognosticate I have to chime in. You ARE an idiot, and all TWA pilots hate all AA pilots forever and ever (you really aren't considered a pilot). I have absolute proof that you are going to bid PHL 330 Captain next week and take over the East operation. In fact I think I saw you working the ramp in PHL last week.

PS. Ran into Carb Heat tonight, he was a blathering idiot. Went on about missing DS so much and crying and all, said he was going to look for (stalk?) him in Hawaii. I guess the old Pres. only talks to DC now, I'm hurt.

Last edited:
Hey FlynAAvy,

Jeff wasn't a Navy pilot.He was a P3 weenie. My Navy friends tell me they don't count!! ;) Seriously,though. He was one great Operations guy and is sorely missed by this line pilot. A big loss.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
I received an email this morning from a friend who is struggling with the decision whether or not to accept recall. After 5 years, very few of us have landed at places where the decision is crystal clear.

Those who ended up at FedEx, UPS, Southwest, Alaska, NetJets... their decision is easy. So many more found themselves at Jetblue, AirTran, Frontier... flying as Expats overseas... flying 17 day trips at Kalitta... stepping 10 years back in their careers and flying as regional First Officers...flying corporate or charter... -- our decisions are not as clear.

Well, I haven't gotten the letter yet but I have gotten several phonecalls this week from friends who have. We are all struggling with this decision.

I still have my newhire class photo on my desk from Jan 99. It seems as though it was yesterday. I really felt as though I had won the lottery -- earned the brass ring.

The other day I picked up a Lear from maintenance and looked at it long and hard. I wondered whether I could fly this airplane for the remainder of my career. Would I feel like a failure if I retired from a 17,000 pound airplane? Would I even still be able to climb INTO it's tiny cockpit when age begins to steal the required acrobatics required to maneuver into the tiny cockpit?

My wife asked what I would do if we didn't have kids -- that's a no-brainer. I'd go back in a flash if I was single with no kids. But that's not the hand I was dealt, so I can't think like a single man. At least here I'm home most nights. I should be around for little league games, school plays, first steps, etc.

I'm 85% sure that i'm staying here. But i'm heartbroken at the prospect. That resignation will be the hardest thing I write, and I imagine it'll take a whole bottle of Jack Daniels to get me through it.

I realize that for the America West pilots, this thread means nothing. They were thrust into an airline they never wanted to work for. For many of us (ok, those of us who grew up in Pennsylvania anyway), US Airways was the realization of a lifelong dream. Giving it up voluntarily isn't easy -- even if it is so clearly the right thing to do.

FurloughedAgain

Last edited:
I actually thought he had an F-14 background, but I could be wrong. I know he got his MBA from Harvard or someplace like that. Smart guy. You're right... he's sorely missed.

On further note, we just posted a $263 million profit so I guess we'll get an extra cookie in our crew meal or something. The 49 announced captain seats on the vacancy bid will help too. Maybe this place isn't too bad.

SteveG, how is the sex-change hormone treatment going? We're all praying for ya... We need to go to the Library soon btw. I seriously need a pitcher of Dos Equis right now. It's been a while. We need to have DS pay though. I hear those widebody Hawiian dudes make serious dinero. DS are you out there...?

Sausage

!00 % Mike W. is going back. Otherwise he would not post all this.

Marty

Going back

!00 % Mike W. is going back. Otherwise he would not post all this.

Marty
I agree completly. He will come back because his heart is here.

Despite our issues right now, I am glad I'm back.

I just wish he was not senior to me!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back