• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1900dr

1900dr
Guys and gals,

What's the latest on US Airways hiring of street pilots for the new year? Is PHX, LAS junior or senior bases for new hires. I'm more interested on if they're hiring that the bases right now. However, if hired for the west coast what equipment should one expect.

Thx for all your coments.

Guys and gals,

What's the latest on US Airways hiring of street pilots for the new year? Is PHX, LAS junior or senior bases for new hires. I'm more interested on if they're hiring that the bases right now. However, if hired for the west coast what equipment should one expect.

Thx for all your coments.

Hiring will continue despite age 65.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised people are applying...

Seriously. 15+ year upgrades with the combined West seniority list (eventually) and starting pay that makes most with families unable to even consider it, 2nd and 3rd year pay that doesn't even come close to what most RJ CA's are making...

Someone explain this to me, please. Seriously.

I'm really surprised people are applying...

Seriously. 15+ year upgrades with the combined West seniority list (eventually) and starting pay that makes most with families unable to even consider it, 2nd and 3rd year pay that doesn't even come close to what most RJ CA's are making...

Someone explain this to me, please. Seriously.

I think what you meant was, why would anyone work for a major. Still, I'll take the worst major over the best commuter anyday.

1st yr pay-

Delta-$49/hr
US Airways- $41/hr
Alaska-$35/hr
United- $32/hr
Continental-$31/hr
Northwest-$30/hr

It's very unlikely that you'll be assigned PHX or LAS if hired in the near future. There seems to be no push to put people out here at the moment. If we saw 50 new people out West, I would put that in the "amazing/unbelievable" category.

No idea if hiring will stop, but you can bet that it will slow as system bids are postponed or reduced. It will take at least a few months for everyone to figure out what impact age 65 will have on hiring needs.

Do all new-hires go into the EMB-190 (the only $41 1st year pay scale)?

The payscale for new-hire pay on everything else looks to be $25 an hour according to APC...? $39 if you are hired under the AW contract which, since UAir is the one hiring, is a big question mark...?

$25 an hour? No way, no how, thanks anyway.

No, I understand wanting to get out of your regional, I did 5 years at PCL with rarely better than 12 days off and increasingly uncommutable lines, mandatory junior manning and extensions, etc... There's a lot to be said for Quality of Life.

However, being a career F/O doesn't sound very appealing to me, either. America West hired almost 75% of their pilots in the last 5-7 years if memory serves. That means you'd be going to UAir with a seniority number that would put you at the bottom of the pile for a long, long time.

Unless you're under 30, you'll spend more of your major career as an F/O than you will as a CA. That just sucks... Not to mention problems with saving any money for retirement with NO pension.

I honestly haven't followed the contract negotiations much, but unless pay snapped back to pre-9/11 levels at UAir, 15 years as an F/O works out to an average of $84,500 a year, and doesn't get above $60,000 (what I need to just barely support my family of 4) until 3rd year pay.

Just can't afford to do it. I'm amazed anyone else can either, unless you're currently an F/O at a regional in which case it might be break-even 1st year...?

Unless it's a "jump on board and pray for a good raise" kind of plan.

Last edited:
You're not hired under one contract or another...you apply and get hired by US Airways. If you are assigned PHX or LAS, you will operate under the West CBA. People don't really grasp this.

Generally, we are hiring for the E190 in PHL and anything else would be subject to current need at class time.

E190 rates suck after year 1...fixing that issue was once a priority for East and West. Now we basically have an RJ payscale on property with no active push to change the rates. Our East brothers and sisters will sleep in the bed they made for years to come with new hires bearing the brunt of the crap wages.

FYI - Wages out west are above the averages you listed. You'll make 60+ in year 2, 75-85 in year 3 and 80+ from there out. FO's above the 5 yr mark are typically making 100K+. That would put the 15 yr average around 90k out West - hope it doesn't come to that, but there's not much that would surprise me after the past 3 years.

Last edited:
1st yr pay-

Delta-$49/hr
US Airways- $41/hr
Alaska-$35/hr
United- $32/hr
Continental-$31/hr
Northwest-$30/hr

You forgot...

American - $35/hr
UPS - $33/hr
Frontier -$37/hr
Hawaiian - $36/hr

The bottom line is that first year pay sucks... no matter what major airline you work for...

Latest resources

Back