• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Us Airways contract opener

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you or any of the other pilots you quote aware of the fact that Southwest President Gary Kelly is getting a little concerned about his labor costs? Do you think USAirways post merger, with a hub and spoke system (and a semi-dysfunctional one at that, now that we inherited USAir's PHL hub) can match the revenue that Southwest makes flying point to point? From what I understand that kind of flying makes for more productive parings,hence more money. And finally do you think this pilot group has the cajones to walk away from their jobs if it comes down to that like the Eastern pilots did in the 80's? There is a reason why we are the lowest paid out there,you know. Do I like that fact? Hell no. But I gotta tell you, I'm getting dam tired of you and many others at AWA thinking Southwest is the "Holy Grail" of airlines. Like I said in a previous post, if you like their pay better than ours,if you think it's a better deal over all , then why don't you go there? No flame, just an honest question.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Another thing to consider. Some of the "Web Board Wizards" on our web site say our opener shouldn't be based on airlines that have negotiated and are working under post-bankruptcy contracts(United, NWA, Delta ) or concessionary contracts( American and Continental's current CBA) What this fella fails to mention is who's contract besides SWA's we should be aiming for. Any ideas? (He sure didn't have any:rolleyes: ) You give me the impression that you are way better at figuring this "sheit" out than me.....

Last edited:
And by the way,Nit-noid, I don't pick up open time.

PHXFLYR

Pathetic

Very pathetic opener. I'll bet these numb nuts go to buy a car and walk away having payed retail. I'm sure Parker was smiling on the inside when he saw these. I was hoping our union would get a transplant of brains and balls from the East side. Oh well, guess not.

I'm with PHXFLYR on this one.

These openers are awesome! Once the MEC bargains down to McDonalds drive-thru server wages, we'll have ourselves a TA!

If only we can get the FAA to lift the monthly and hourly duty time limits..... I have no doubt that the US Airways pilots would give the JBLU pilots a run for their money in being "pioneers" in cockpit slavery.

Way to go guys!

Are you or any of the other pilots you quote aware of the fact that Southwest President Gary Kelly is getting a little concerned about his labor costs? Do you think USAirways post merger, with a hub and spoke system (and a semi-dysfunctional one at that, now that we inherited USAir's PHL hub) can match the revenue that Southwest makes flying point to point? From what I understand that kind of flying makes for more productive parings,hence more money. And finally do you think this pilot group has the cajones to walk away from their jobs if it comes down to that like the Eastern pilots did in the 80's? There is a reason why we are the lowest paid out there,you know. Do I like that fact? Hell no. But I gotta tell you, I'm getting dam tired of you and many others at AWA thinking Southwest is the "Holy Grail" of airlines. Like I said in a previous post, if you like their pay better than ours,if you think it's a better deal over all , then why don't you go there? No flame, just an honest question.

You my friend suffer from Stockholm syndrome IMHO.

SWA has a cost advantage over LCC not a revenue advantage. You won't ever find a SWA ticket going for $4,000+ however LCC sells them all the time internationally. Kirby himself just said that PHL is producing tons of revenue and is one of our best hubs (see the latest webcast.) He said going back to the hub model as opposed to the rolling model that AAA had adopted created in excess of $400 MILLION in additional revenue. Philly obviously has MAJOR problems but they are working on fixing them and even as dysfunctional as that hub currently is it's making money hand over fist. The 300 million second quarter and 100 million 3rd quarter profits were definitely not a product of phx and las.

Now back to your assertion that we can't make SWA wages. Show me one article where Kelly complains that he pays his pilots too much. SWA does not have a labor cost problem. The fuel hedges are running out which means their fuel costs are going to rapidly rise and fare increases will be necessary. However, they do not subscribe to the mentality that every cost needs to be covered by dipping into employee wallets. We at LCC are currently projecting over $500 million/year operating profit. That is huge and you seem to have the mentality we're broke.

Go back to any webcast where SWA wages are mentioned and Parker will point to their hedges as the only reason they can afford to pay that. Well those hedges are in the process of expiring and I can guarantee SWA will not be imposing wage cuts on their pilots. So lets match their rates as their hedges expire.

Lets force Parker to actually manage an airline. Everyone is ready to bl#w the guy because he can make money with the lowest wages in the industry and good business/international revenue. Lets see if he can maintain profitability with decent wages.

As for your question, ""And finally do you think this pilot group has the cajones to walk away from their jobs if it comes down to that..""
Well i did untill reading your posts...

And your question if I like SWA rates why don't I go work for them? C'mon man are you serious? I must have missed the open invitation at Fedex/UPs/SWA groundschools.

All East and West First Officer's need to contact their reps and ask why the contract opener is at a different F/O vs Capt ratio of pay than previous contracts with their associated ratios. Past ratio was 68%, current opener is;

Year 2 ratio 50%

Year 6 ratio 62%

Year 12 ratio 66%

All longevity ratios should be the same,68%!!!

I don't have data for the west side.

Dont bother contacting anyone. Just Vote "NO". This is one thing we can control. Its kind of like Mr. P saying that my base salary is well below my competitors and my " At Risk Salary" is comensurate with my competitors". At least something along those lines. Our Bottom line should be a contract that allows the company to grow and be competitive with our competition but at the same time rewards our hard work. Im sure that all the level headed Mgrs. at the new USAIR would agree with that. Otherwise their comensurate sallaries will go to the wayside. Stay Smart, Stay Strong and dont be contrived into believing that the new company does not have alot at stake with investors. The best salesman on the property or anywhere will tell you that if you dont shoot for the moon you will never meet your quota. My question to you guys is simple. Whats your quota? Are you going to make it something that a "PICA" Fish (the smallest fish in the ocean) can attain, or are you going to stand strong and submit to your Union that we deserve more for the work and the time away from family? Its your BALL. What are you going to do with it?

As for me,,,,It better be a hell of alot more or Im outta here....This is peanuts Baby....I can make more running a Janitorial Service and being at home seven days a week.. I hope this is not considered comensurate with the New World Order. WOOOOOOOO Baby.....it willl bee a FIGHT. ALPA where are you?
Mr P, Good for you....Id run for the bank if I were you and put the new guy in charge. He seems to be groomed for a fall guy.

Latest resources

Back