• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air type in the Hudson?????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was watching the NTSB lady, and she said that Sully was he pilot monitoring.
So does this mean the FO was the one who landed it in the water?

I was watching the NTSB lady, and she said that Sully was he pilot monitoring.
So does this mean the FO was the one who landed it in the water?

I read a news report last night that said he took the controls as the FO ran the checklists. With only a couple minutes, they didn't get down to hitting the ditching button. FWIW.

Higgins NTSB Conference Last Night...

Captain (19K) was monitoring and had approx. 3800 hrs. on the 320 and FO (20K) had 35 hrs. on the 320.

FO saw birds - captain was heads down when FO stated.

I read a news report last night that said he took the controls as the FO ran the checklists. With only a couple minutes, they didn't get down to hitting the ditching button. FWIW.

I don't think the ditch button does much. If you have seen the pictures of the plane as it was pulled from the river, you will see that the bottom is pretty much torn open. This kind of damage occurred with a perfect water landing in calm waters.

I don't think anyone's posted this yet, but here's a link to CNN's video released from a surveilance camera of the actual landing.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/usair.splash.video/index.html

The following videos shows part of the take off from LGA.

Also Cnn reported the pilots said they intentionally set it down near the ferry boat landings so that rescue could be expedited quickler.

Thanks Redd, I've been wanting to see the flare.

Captain (19K) was monitoring and had approx. 3800 hrs. on the 320 and FO (20K) had 35 hrs. on the 320.

FO saw birds - captain was heads down when FO stated.

The SOP is to have the F/O fly and CA monitor. It is interesting that in the most dire situation you can face, folks revert to what is instinct (CA flying) rather than procedure. If this had not turned out as well, I wonder if this would be brought up as a causal factor.

Maybe the procedure needs to be revisited.

The SOP is to have the F/O fly and CA monitor. It is interesting that in the most dire situation you can face, folks revert to what is instinct (CA flying) rather than procedure. If this had not turned out as well, I wonder if this would be brought up as a causal factor.

Maybe the procedure needs to be revisited.

I always thought the Captain could say my airplane any time he wanted to?
Are you going to argue with him during the heat of the moment?
In some cases it may be better to relinquish the controls in others (a v1 cut ) it isn't.... I think a rational pilot understands this.
I had an abnormal engine situation years back where we shut down an engine at 1k feet during the climb out.
I was the Capt and NFP. My FO was the flying pilot and he did the return and landing. Had he been a low time just out of a College Flight school new hire he might not of performed the SE landing if I felt uncomfortable with it...
I signed for the airplane remember?

I'm not saying that the FO of flt 1549 was inexperienced by any means (he was former capt with airways), but he was less experienced in that airplane... [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]"First Officer, 35 hours in an A-320"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]NTSB PRESS CONFERENCES: [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]The following are highlights of the two NTSB press Conferences held on Saturday.[/FONT]

20:00 press conference:
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain, 3800 hrs in A-320[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer, 35 hours in an A-320 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer was initial PF[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer stated he saw birds 3-5000’ off to his right[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain looked up & said the windscreen was filled w/big dark brown birds. Said his reaction was to duck[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain smelled burning birds[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Loss of thrust, Captain, [/FONT] “my aircraft”[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]. First Officer, [/FONT]“your aircraft”.[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] Captain lowered nose because speed had decreased[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain said power loss was symmetrical[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain took over as PF & called for the Dual Engine failure check list[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain said initial plan was to return to LGA. He said he was too slow & too low, it was too populated. Teterboro was too far, populated and would be catastrophic if he didn’t make it. As stated in earlier brief, he stated, [/FONT]"going to be in the Hudson".
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain focused on flying[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer focused on checklist & starting engines[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]This checklist is meant to run at FL350[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain called for flaps 2 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain made the [/FONT] “brace”[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] call over the P/A[/FONT]

Latest resources

Back