• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air type in the Hudson?????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's common to "white wash" the logo after an accident. Bad PR.

I honestly believe that revealing the enormous experience of that crew, their skill and judgment that day has boosted USAir's reputation a bit. It's possible that in the publics eye, USAir may be perceived as having very skilled and experienced pilots, which might lead to a poisitve slant towards their ticket sales.

Anyone buying any of this? Maybe in the very short term.... If it's a toss up btwn a few bucks for a flight, some might be wiling to click on the USAir fare in lieu of the less expensive one.

Who knows...

I'm thinking he probably means USAir is proud enough of this outcome, to not paint over the USAir logo...so far...

Thanks Prussian, I was slow making the connection. Probably because of exactly what you are saying, why hide something so positive?

I honestly believe that revealing the enormous experience of that crew, their skill and judgment that day has boosted USAir's reputation a bit. It's possible that in the publics eye, USAir may be perceived as having very skilled and experienced pilots, which might lead to a poisitve slant towards their ticket sales.

Anyone buying any of this? Maybe in the very short term.... If it's a toss up btwn a few bucks for a flight, some might be wiling to click on the USAir fare in lieu of the less expensive one.

Who knows...

I would agree that that this particular event has not hurt USAir in the least, and has more than likely helped USAir's public image.

Who knows...

The truly clueless are thinking.....

"Hey maybe Capt. Sully will be my pilot!"

I wonder how many times FA's will be asked that question as pax board a flight?

Sorry for being cryptic, was not my intent.

I was just wondering if the ivory tower was considering this good spin on the PR machine.

If they do (and I think they should) they will leave it alone until it disappears into obscurity.

I always thought the Captain could say my airplane any time he wanted to?
Are you going to argue with him during the heat of the moment?
In some cases it may be better to relinquish the controls in others (a v1 cut ) it isn't.... I think a rational pilot understands this.
I had an abnormal engine situation years back where we shut down an engine at 1k feet during the climb out.
I was the Capt and NFP. My FO was the flying pilot and he did the return and landing. Had he been a low time just out of a College Flight school new hire he might not of performed the SE landing if I felt uncomfortable with it...
I signed for the airplane remember?

I'm not saying that the FO of flt 1549 was inexperienced by any means (he was former capt with airways), but he was less experienced in that airplane... [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]"First Officer, 35 hours in an A-320"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]NTSB PRESS CONFERENCES: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]The following are highlights of the two NTSB press Conferences held on Saturday.[/FONT]

20:00 press conference:
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain, 3800 hrs in A-320[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer, 35 hours in an A-320 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer was initial PF[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer stated he saw birds 3-5000’ off to his right[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain looked up & said the windscreen was filled w/big dark brown birds. Said his reaction was to duck[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain smelled burning birds[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Loss of thrust, Captain, [/FONT]“my aircraft”[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]. First Officer, [/FONT]“your aircraft”.[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] Captain lowered nose because speed had decreased[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain said power loss was symmetrical[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain took over as PF & called for the Dual Engine failure check list[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain said initial plan was to return to LGA. He said he was too slow & too low, it was too populated. Teterboro was too far, populated and would be catastrophic if he didn’t make it. As stated in earlier brief, he stated, [/FONT]"going to be in the Hudson".
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain focused on flying[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]First Officer focused on checklist & starting engines[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]This checklist is meant to run at FL350[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain called for flaps 2 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Captain made the [/FONT]“brace”[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif] call over the P/A[/FONT]

It is always the Captain's call. FAR 91.3 super captain rule!

Latest resources

Back