US Air cutting capacity

Bake

I LIKE THE GEEZER METER!!
Total Time
41 Tms
US Airways Group Inc. told investors this week it ended 2008 in the red and plans to cut capacity this year.
The Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier, the second-busiest at Port Columbus International Airport, said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it expects to trim domestic mainline capacity by as much as 8 percent over the year. Total mainline capacity, which includes international flights, will be reduced by as much as 6 percent, the airline said.
US Airways, one of many carriers hit hard last year by high fuel prices and the global economic crisis, also said it plans to report a loss for 2008. The company didn’t disclose how much it fell into the red for the year but for the first nine months of 2008, it showed a $1.7 billion net loss.
The airline separately announced that December traffic dipped by 1.1 percent compared with the year before, bringing its full-year decline to 1.1 percent as well.

EatinRamen

Total Time
4500+
Looks like all those fees Airways has implemented hasn't helped the bottom line.

dh82dvr

Beer is good for you.
Total Time
1+
probably helped the bonuses though

Tweaker

BOHICA
Total Time
I have been furloughed for 4 mos. so the exact #s are not in my cranium, but...
1) The contractual fleet minimums are very very close to what the airline is operating with right now.

2) Mis-Management jes got caught operating 17 Large/small/medium/pequino big/grande/super-sized/jeeessss right RJ's above the contractual limit of 93.

These two facts make such the proposition of reducing ASM's not a simple endeavor. I guess you could operate at the appropriate fleet minimums and simply fly them less often, but wif dinojuice so cheap, that is stoopid. (I know, this only makes it more likely to be considered by the US Steel Airways)

I hope these obstacles are not used as bargaining chips/bait for USAPA to secure DOH and a sheite contract rubber stamp renewal!

I expect mgmt will employ all of some of the following tactics: obfuscation of facts/evidence, delaying maneuvers, blatantly violating contractual limits while expecting to be forced to pay a small portion of damages for same. I am confident in these opinions because they have all been employed as routinely as Dougwiser's bar tab and DUI attorney.

get2flyin

Flyinawa!
Total Time
15k+
I hope these obstacles are not used as bargaining chips/bait for USAPA to secure DOH and a sheite contract rubber stamp renewal!

I wouldn't bet my career on it. Then again, what's the big deal...USAPA is more than willing to do that for me.

contrail67

Total Time
US Airways Group Inc. told investors this week it ended 2008 in the red and plans to cut capacity this year.
The Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier, the second-busiest at Port Columbus International Airport, said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it expects to trim domestic mainline capacity by as much as 8 percent over the year. Total mainline capacity, which includes international flights, will be reduced by as much as 6 percent, the airline said.
US Airways, one of many carriers hit hard last year by high fuel prices and the global economic crisis, also said it plans to report a loss for 2008. The company didn’t disclose how much it fell into the red for the year but for the first nine months of 2008, it showed a $1.7 billion net loss.
The airline separately announced that December traffic dipped by 1.1 percent compared with the year before, bringing its full-year decline to 1.1 percent as well.
Were you surprised by this?

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
Just a slight threadjack:

WTF is the story with the new flight attendant uniforms? Two mainline flights last night, and both FAs were wearing what looked like cheap blue sweatshirts. No jacket, no nothing. It looked like gym class!

Were they omitting a part of the uniform, or is that it now? I honestly didn't think they could do worse than the pilot-shirt-with-blank-epaulette, but the appear to have found a way. :(

Nice flights otherwise; just wondering what's up with the new uniforms.

realmanofgenius

midget wih a big penis
Total Time
where've you been?
they've worn these for close to a year...they show off a 62 year old woman's breasts rather nicely.

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
where've you been?
First time I've seen 'em, believe it or not! Some of the other FAs were wearing a different striped uniform; that's all I recall seeing... although a good 2/3 of my US segments have been on RJs, which changes things, of course.

...they show off a 62 year old woman's breasts rather nicely.
:laugh:

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Total Time
18k ?

McNugget

Banned
messiah
Total Time
Looks like more growth opportunity for RAH, as mainline cuts old 737s. A win-win situation, as USAir will regain profitability by retiring its older aircraft.

OurMoney1

Total Time
Well its been almost 3 years since a bancruptcy/management change/ concession tours/threats of a shut down......so its not surprising things are coming apart again.

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Total Time
18k ?
Looks like more growth opportunity for RAH, as mainline cuts old 737s. A win-win situation, as USAir will regain profitability by retiring its older aircraft.
contract leeches......

McNugget

Banned
messiah
Total Time
The major airline pilots need to get real, as well. Start thinking along the lines of $40-50K/year FO and $70-90K/year CA salaries. The employee groups that help their companies compete are going to be the ones who survive in the long-term. Americans want the cheapest tickets, and the airlines that provide them will be the winners.

get2flyin

Flyinawa!
Total Time
15k+
Yes, a win-win situation for content regional pilots who want to bring the top down instead of the bottom up. That's SWEET for you!

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Total Time
18k ?
The major airline pilots need to get real, as well. Start thinking along the lines of $40-50K/year FO and $70-90K/year CA salaries. The employee groups that help their companies compete are going to be the ones who survive in the long-term. Americans want the cheapest tickets, and the airlines that provide them will be the winners.

Great idea....

and contract fo's work for free to gain experience...

and lets see maybe contract capts get 40k a year.

also one weekend a month a crew needs to get

together and help wash an airplane on a layover....

Just what are you smoking kid?

aewanabe

Somewhat Exasperated User
Total Time
Um, read some of Mc Butt-Nugget's other posts. He's a very unimaginative flamer.

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Total Time
18k ?
Um, read some of Mc Butt-Nugget's other posts. He's a very unimaginative flamer.
You're right i need to not waste my furlough time....