UPT advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KarmaPolice said:
Dude, really. You're coming off as a serious tool. it's kind of freaking me out.

Dude really. You're a bigger tool than I am if reading something on FI freaks you out.

thanks for all the advice everyone..i really apprieciate the extra insight! one other question...how do they treat guard guys down there...instructors and other students? just curious

The general feeling is that you're there just to make it through with the path of least resistance. I was a flight commander and whenever I had a guard guy that acted like that, I thought to myself, "figures". Not all of the guard guys were like that and you can rest assured that you'll get as much out of the training as you want to get out of it. Have some pride and do your best. Your fellow students may feel like you have somewhat of an edge because you're not competing for an assignment, but that's easy to overcome. Be a good class mate and remember that no one likes an ass kisser. Don't worry about being the "guard guy", but understand that there are a few that will have some negative preconceived ideas about the "guard guy". Prove them wrong.

I wasn't a "guard guy", but when I was in pilot training I sometimes wished I was. Good luck.

The general feeling is that you're there just to make it through with the path of least resistance. I was a flight commander and whenever I had a guard guy that acted like that, I thought to myself, "figures". Not all of the guard guys were like that and you can rest assured that you'll get as much out of the training as you want to get out of it. Have some pride and do your best. Your fellow students may feel like you have somewhat of an edge because you're not competing for an assignment, but that's easy to overcome. Be a good class mate and remember that no one likes an ass kisser. Don't worry about being the "guard guy", but understand that there are a few that will have some negative preconceived ideas about the "guard guy". Prove them wrong.

I wasn't a "guard guy", but when I was in pilot training I sometimes wished I was. Good luck.

I kind of agree. Have some pride where it counts. There is a lot of meaningless hazing that goes on at SUPT.

Take your studies seriously and behave like a professional officer. You'll be able to see where good training ends, and hazing begins. Because these guys/gals live in a training enviornment where people are competing for their futures they tend to get a little tunnel visioned, and are used to students willing to go through anything unquestioning. Plus, some of them are robots whose brains think only via Air Force regulations. Focus on what will make you a better aviator and asset to your squadron. SUPT is without a doubt the best flight training in the world. But it's not all about flight training.

Not being willing to do innane things which have no training benefit to you or to the Air Force can be seen as seeking out "The path of least resistance". (As the previous poster may have alluded to.) They'll be looking to brand you as a "lazy reservist" or "guard bum" as if the Air Force is a religion and it's regulations the Holy Bible.

Take it seriously, but you are going to have the option to put it into a different perspective. You've got your job, your unit has already interviewed you, and is sending you there to get training. They are sure you have what it takes to make it through, or they would not have hired you. You don't have to prove yourself in the same way the Active Duty guys/gals are going to want to. They aren't going there under the same circumstances, they are there to get training, and also to earn assignments.

Guard/Reserve folks who are coming through can sometimes rub them the wrong way. Just beware, you'll be under a different kind of microscope.

We have some guys who decide to drink the coolaid and go for the gusto. They come back with their awards and think it means something to us. In reality, in the Guard/Reserve world, at least as far as I've seen, it will only mean something to you.

Your first year back at the unit is going to have a million times more impact on your career than the year at SUPT. Don't loose sight of that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back