• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPT advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just relax and study. I will go by fast, don't miss it. It is only hard if you are too uptight about it all.

I'll second the relax and study bit. I was more relaxed than most of my classmates and I think that I enjoyed the flying much more than most others. Just don't become too relaxed ;)

How about 10 bits?

1. If you were a civil pilot before, don't try to tell the military instructors that the military way of flying is screwed up. Just do it "their" way.

2. Make a real effort to get to know everyone in your class and help each other get through. You're probably going to see a 30% wash-out rate, so not everyone's going to make it, but try to help them anyway if you're able.

3. You're not there only as a pilot. You're a military officer too, so act and think like a leader . . . not some kid learning to fly cool airplanes. Have fun but don't act like an idiot at the bar. Take care of your classmates and friends that ARE acting like idiots at the bar.

4. Treat enlisted personnel with respect and courtesy, but not undue familiarity. Expect and demand respect and military courtesy from enlisted personnel.

5. If you feel airsick early on, tell you're instructor. 99% of the time you're going to get over it, but jet aerobatics wearing a mask and helmet can really get to some people. If you puke, do it in a bag and not in your mask or on yourself. If you puke all over the cockpit, it's not the crew chief's job to clean it up . . . . it's your job.

6. Academics are pretty easy. Sims can be deceptively tough. Flying is fun, but serious biz too. Be prepared EVERYDAY. I don't know if they still do it, but if, at the end of the course, they offer to let you take the FAA military competency test and get your FAA commercial license, (MEL Limited to CL thrust), do it. Don't be stupid or lazy. It's a freebie that you'll appreciate later on.

7. Sooner or later you're going to bust a ride. It's not the end as long as you don't make a habit of it. Get over it and drive on.

8. Don't get uptight about final assignments at the end. I got my dead-last choice out of UPT and it was the best flying assignment I had in 20 years of military flying.

9. You're getting a chance at the best training in the world. There are literally thousands of guys that would gladly trade places with you in a heartbeat. Make the most of it.

10. You may think that being a military pilot is very cool. That said, you should never act like it is, nor should you EVER brag about it. You don't have to. The wings that will be on your chest speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Savor the year at UPT and RTU for whatever aircraft you track to. It's the only time in your military career where your only responsibility is pretty much just to fly! And at UPT especially, but even at other times in your career, never pass up the opportunity to shut the f*ck up...you'll be amazed at some who do not!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and had tons of questions when i was about to start the journey..... You will hear some people tell you to know stuff before you get to flight school. Don't worry about trying to cram knowledge into your brain before you get to UPT. You will be told exactly what to know, and given plenty of time to study it (for the most part). For one year your sole purpose is to study and fly. Don't be cocky, but show a positive attitude at all times. Although it will feel like the IPs are out to get you, they will be on your side if you keep a positive attitude and stay focused. Even though it feels like a kick in the jimmy everyday you get up, try to have fun - very few people get to do this.

Good Luck

I didn't study much in UPT, the instructors (some, namely Flight CC) hated my guts, and guess what ....I got DG! Have a good time and party it up. Don't worry about all the AF officership crap like some seem to obsess over. I'd swear some goobers like to make it ROTC or OTS again. Their tools and ignore them. It's Undergraduate Pilot Training.Emphasize the pilot training portion. You're an officer already.

Oh yeah, help out and support your buds who are struggling but don't do it to be an ass kisser, even if scores points with your Ft/cc. You'll see some asskissers like this and they will make you want to vomit. Do it becau;se you want to help them make it. And when it's all over, drive out the gate with your middle finger out your sunroof and don't look back because in 3-6 years, your ass will be back as an instructor.:laugh: And when you are, you will laugh your ass off thinking about all the stupid sh!t you and your classmates did.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Forget everything you know about everything, especially aviation. UPT is designed for an intelligent quick learner who doesn't speak unless spoken to, and is totally ignorant. Be that person.

Latest resources

Back