UPT advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Otto77 said:
Someone in my flight kept f'ng it up so we were in blues for a month while on the flightline which sucks hardcore. .

Yes, that would suck. And I'd be willing to bet that the candy-a** flight commander who dictated that moronic "punishment" has little experience in any kind of operational combat unit. It's that kind of crap that gives UPT a bad name. I can think of about 500 better ways to handle a guy not knowing his boldface than make 15 other guys dress up in a monkey suit every day, which only takes their focus off of flying and learning and puts it on crap like ribbons and gig lines. Dumb.

Deuce130 said:
Yes, that would suck. And I'd be willing to bet that the candy-a** flight commander who dictated that moronic "punishment" has little experience in any kind of operational combat unit. It's that kind of crap that gives UPT a bad name. I can think of about 500 better ways to handle a guy not knowing his boldface than make 15 other guys dress up in a monkey suit every day, which only takes their focus off of flying and learning and puts it on crap like ribbons and gig lines. Dumb.

I agree Deuce, however UPT is a team effort just as much as it is a singular effot to succeed. The flight commanders want to see how much of a team player you are just as much as how well you do personally on your checkrides, etc...Dressing in blues is retarded, however I did it 6 years ago, you probably did it as well, and guys 30 years ago probably did it too. It's all about playing the game...dressing in blues for a month is such small potatoes compared to the awesome job of flying in the military you are rewarded with after a year of training. My 2 cents...

Scrapdog said:
I agree Deuce, however UPT is a team effort just as much as it is a singular effot to succeed. The flight commanders want to see how much of a team player you are just as much as how well you do personally on your checkrides, etc...Dressing in blues is retarded, however I did it 6 years ago, you probably did it as well, and guys 30 years ago probably did it too. It's all about playing the game...dressing in blues for a month is such small potatoes compared to the awesome job of flying in the military you are rewarded with after a year of training. My 2 cents...

No, never did it. I think we did it the first day on in-processing and that was it. Team effort aside, the idea of punishing a flight with something as ridiculous as wearing blues shouldn't have to be a part of the price to pay. Yes, in the big picture it's small potatoes, but it should never come to that. Can you imagine the same type of thing happening in the Marines or the Navy? Nope, only in the bizarro of world of AETC. I'd love to sit down over a beer and talk with that Flight CC about why, exactly, he thought that was such a motivational tool. Having guys go to the bathroom to change into a flight suit before a sortie? Then back into blues for a debrief? There's a freakin' war going on for God's sake. Stupid beyond belief and I don't understand it.

Deuce130 said:
No, never did it. I think we did it the first day on in-processing and that was it. Team effort aside, the idea of punishing a flight with something as ridiculous as wearing blues shouldn't have to be a part of the price to pay. Yes, in the big picture it's small potatoes, but it should never come to that. Can you imagine the same type of thing happening in the Marines or the Navy? Nope, only in the bizarro of world of AETC. I'd love to sit down over a beer and talk with that Flight CC about why, exactly, he thought that was such a motivational tool. Having guys go to the bathroom to change into a flight suit before a sortie? Then back into blues for a debrief? There's a freakin' war going on for God's sake. Stupid beyond belief and I don't understand it.

Alrighty brother, you win...

Deuce130 said:
There's a freakin' war going on for God's sake.

Yep, I remember my UPT days back in the "Rio". We lost a lot of guys in the south practice area defending the US/Mexico border in the mighty Tweet.:eek:

Slice121 said:
Yep, I remember my UPT days back in the "Rio". We lost a lot of guys in the south practice area defending the US/Mexico border in the mighty Tweet.:eek:

Maybe if you had to wear blues between sorties and walk at attention to the bathroom those losses wouldn't have happened?

Deuce130 said:
Maybe if you had to wear blues between sorties and walk at attention to the bathroom those losses wouldn't have happened?

No, my point is the GWOT and hazing a few UPT studs have nothing to do with each other. If the flt cc felt the need to put dudes in blues, so be it. Peer pressure to get your act together can be a great motivator for some. I think we were on formal release in 38's for like 4 months. Did it suck? Yes, but now that I'm out of there, who cares? Maybe it's done to expose us early to following useless and stupid regs/orders that seem to never cease trickling down from senior leaders even today.

There is an understandable tendancy for many Air Force pilots, especially fighter pilots, to start to see themselves as Sky Gods. Who can blame them, they got into their seat by great individual effort.

I think it's pretty important for Air Force pilots to be reminded early on that they are part of a team, and if one team member fails, the team fails.

Latest resources

Back