UPS window

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kermit,
The app specifially says NOT to include a military converstion when entering flight time. Also, they don't consider any "relief pilot" time as PIC - I'm assuming that means our military "other" time is out.

I was able to upload my resume.

I don't think military "other" time ever counts, since most places are interested only in PIC/SIC. One thing I haven't seen is how evaluator time or check airman time can count for you. You're a required part of the crew, and are in a position to take the place of a crewmember if you observe discrepancy that might merit taking over. I haven't counted any of that time in my totals. For me it's not a great amount so no big deal. It may be for many of us out there, though, so it seems it should count for something. Any thoughts?

I would include "other" time since being certed as an AC since you still signed for the jet when you go on long trips. Did not include "other" time for SIC because I was just a co-pilot then and did not sign for anything.

Was at TCM for 4 years, now CHS for past 1, took the VSP, looking to get in the Reserves and airline.

Kermit,
The app specifially says NOT to include a military converstion when entering flight time. Also, they don't consider any "relief pilot" time as PIC - I'm assuming that means our military "other" time is out.

I was able to upload my resume.

Moose--You Strat Air pukes fly your tails off. I would not automatically discount your other time. I flew tankers and we were almost always just a 2 pilot crew. Occasionally we would have a 3rd pilot. Before becoming an IP I would log some other time when I was the "A" code. The AFORMS printout can not account for this. The bottom line is that if you were the A coded all of the time was PIC, despit the USAF calling some of it other.

It won't matter after you get the call for the interview. All I took for the interview was my 2 page Flying SUmmary Report. The iterviewer asked me how I came up with my PIC. I told him when I upgraded and that all the time after that was PIC. I also included half of the "other" time and explained to him that it was from when I was the Aircraft commander but not in the seat.

Try to keep it simple so you can explain it when you are under stress and nervous in the interview. But at the same time you want to get as much credit as possible for your experience.

It's a good time to be a military heavy driver looking to get out!

I guess just about all of my other time was time spent snoozing or along for the ride. My last five years, we didn't have copilots - everyone was AC qualified, but only one was designated as such for each leg, and we'd play musical seats over the duration of the trip. Most of our trips had a full crew plus DNIF cover. In other words, 3 pilots, 2 navs, and two FEs, plus a flight surgeon complete with a bag of goodies if we were going somewhere we couldn't afford having a sick crewmember putting the kaibosh on whatever we were doing.
Didn't mean to mislead. :0 I guess the important thing is to be able to defend your use of other time in your indicated PIC/SIC time. I figured if I had the thousand needed without using other time, that's one less thing I might have to 'splain or defend. Either way, its still shown in my AFORMS as additional time. But if you're comfortable with using it in light of the definitions given, go for it!

AV8 - I sure hope you're right, that would certainly make my day. I haven't done any kind of psych eval, but then again I just finished my app about 12 hours ago. How is one notified to take the psych eval?

Elkflyer ;)

I thought you had already completed the psych eval. because of the response you got: ”schedule an appointment with an HR professional.”

I thought this was the message you’d get after a successful psych eval, at least that was my perception based on some posts by people who’d already completed the eval.

Either way, with your heavy experience I’d say your call wil come much sooner than later. And once that call comes it’ll certainly”make your day,” - it’s a great feeling.

As always, I personally think job fairs are the best way to become “visible” to the recruiters (I know many here disagree with me on that). I’d copy and paste your latest application, bring your latest resume, cover letter and maybe copies of some online recommendations if you have any and then I’d head for the next AirInc, WAI or OBAB conference, any will do!

WAI got me the job and I’m not a woman! My friend (one of my sponsors) recommended it to me and he even attended the WAI job fair with me just so he could re-introduce me to the HR (I say re-introduce because I’d attended several AirInc seminars prior to that to no avail).

I am eternally grateful to him and to my other sponsors, wouldn’t have happened without them. Btw, I think the job fair indirectly helped me during the interview itself because one of the HR people I talked to at the seminar ended up conducting my interview!

Good luck to you and all other hopefuls!

What is the UPS definition of "transoceanic". I have lots of time flying in Class 2 nav airspace to the carribean. I doubt this is what they are looking for but is it enough to check the box.

What is the UPS definition of "transoceanic". I have lots of time flying in Class 2 nav airspace to the carribean. I doubt this is what they are looking for but is it enough to check the box.

Four different boxes to check.
Pacific
North Atlantic
South America
Africa/Middle East

Not sure, but I would guess that their primary focus is operations in MNPS airspace or airspace where MNPS rules are followed. Such as NOPAC, WESTPAC, MIDPAC, Etc.

Four different boxes to check.
Pacific
North Atlantic
South America
Africa/Middle East

Not sure, but I would guess that their primary focus is operations in MNPS airspace or airspace where MNPS rules are followed. Such as NOPAC, WESTPAC, MIDPAC, Etc.

I don't even know what that is, so I will wait for the next window.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back