• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS sees FDX/USPS deal as Antitrust

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... On an international scale, with the weak dollar, in many cases we as a country are beginning to become the cheap labor. Not as cheap as the Mexican you quote, but given efficiencies and productivity, quite competitive on the world stage.

Bingo!

Volkswagen Waltzes Into Tennessee
By David Kiley

Volkswagen has selected Chattanooga as the site for a new U.S. assembly plant. Tennessee, the home of Jack Daniel's, beat out Alabama and Michigan for the investment and jobs that go along with it.

Volkswagen needs a plant stateside to combat the devastating effect of the weak U.S. dollar on its profits. The German automaker is currently forced to import all of the vehicles it sells in the U.S. -- the primary reason its American operation has been averaging losses of $1 billion a year since 2004. Even vehicles made at VW's Mexican plants have been a drag on earnings because those cars have too many euro-denominated parts.

In an interview with BusinessWeek earlier this year, Volkswagen of America Chief Executive Stefan Jacoby said manufacturing in the U.S. is an imperative to staying viable. "The U.S. dollar, we think, could stay quite weak against the euro for some time, so we must build a big percentage of our vehicles here rather than rely on imports," Jacoby said...

How is DHL shifting contractors to UPS being sold out to lower wage labor? If anything, pilot labor costs go up and probably teamster sorter costs will as well. What goes don is the cost of inneficent infrastructure.

On an international scale, with the weak dollar, in many cases we as a country are beginning to become the cheap labor. Not as cheap as the Mexican you quote, but given efficiencies and productivity, quite competitive on the world stage.

It's not. When I was speaking about lower wage labor problems wreaking havoc in the American job market I was referring to all of the manufacturing that has left this country for China, tech jobs to India etc.etc.etc. DHL has is 5 years into the Airborne Express purchase this August. How in 5 years can a foreign company be so mismanaged to destroy the customer base set up for over 25 years?

My rant may have started with DHL, but really has to do with foreign companies being allowed to buy up America and be able to destroy us from the inside. One American job at a time and one American company at a time.

Bingo!

Volkswagen Waltzes Into Tennessee
By David Kiley

Volkswagen has selected Chattanooga as the site for a new U.S. assembly plant. Tennessee, the home of Jack Daniel's, beat out Alabama and Michigan for the investment and jobs that go along with it.

Volkswagen needs a plant stateside to combat the devastating effect of the weak U.S. dollar on its profits. The German automaker is currently forced to import all of the vehicles it sells in the U.S. -- the primary reason its American operation has been averaging losses of $1 billion a year since 2004. Even vehicles made at VW's Mexican plants have been a drag on earnings because those cars have too many euro-denominated parts.

In an interview with BusinessWeek earlier this year, Volkswagen of America Chief Executive Stefan Jacoby said manufacturing in the U.S. is an imperative to staying viable. "The U.S. dollar, we think, could stay quite weak against the euro for some time, so we must build a big percentage of our vehicles here rather than rely on imports," Jacoby said...

Wait a minute....VW has been losing $1 billion a year since 2004 and to stop the losses they put money into and build their operation here? While the weak dollar completely bites, they restructure to build in the US? This is from a German company? Why don't they just come up with some pin headed idea like ship all the parts in and have Ford put it together for them? :p

... My rant may have started with DHL, but really has to do with foreign companies being allowed to buy up America and be able to destroy us from the inside. One American job at a time and one American company at a time.
I'm gonna exclude DHL from this discussion because that's a different animal in itself but what is your solution? - a Great Wall of America? Or is it all NAFTA's fault? I mean no US jobs left the US prior to NAFTA, right?

So if we follow your advice, whatever plan you come up with, will we then force out Toyota, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Nissan, etc from the US? I mean those companies destroy Japanese and German jobs, one Japanese or German job at a time for the sake of American jobs, that's just not right, or is it?

I'm gonna exclude DHL from this discussion because that's a different animal in itself but what is your solution? - a Great Wall of America? Or is it all NAFTA's fault? I mean no US jobs left the US prior to NAFTA, right?

So if we follow your advice, whatever plan you come up with, will we then force out Toyota, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Nissan, etc from the US? I mean those companies destroy Japanese and German jobs, one Japanese or German job at a time for the sake of American jobs, that's just not right, or is it?

That's close. Our free trade agreements are not free. They come at a cost to America because they are not evenly distributed. If our free trade agreements were not as one-sided as many of them are, we would have true free trade. But they are one sided against American companies. Some of our politicians know this and have tried to even the playing field. As long as we give corporations a pass to go outside, our country will suffer. THAT bit of my rant has nothing to with DHL but our trade policy, which is anti-American.

Last edited:
Wait a minute....VW has been losing $1 billion a year since 2004 and to stop the losses they put money into and build their operation here? While the weak dollar completely bites, they restructure to build in the US? This is from a German company? Why don't they just come up with some pin headed idea like ship all the parts in and have Ford put it together for them? :p
Hmm, you need to read that article again.

VW has been losing money in the US because and not despite of the weak dollar. Think of it this way, they're building the cars in Germany paying salaries in strong (expensive) euros but selling the same cars in the US for weak (cheap) dollars.

The solution? Now they'll be building those cars in the 'local' market to offset any currency fluctuation - paying salaries in weak dollars however, they'll be getting paid in the same weak dollars - Verstehen Sie?

Hmm, you need to read that article again.

VW has been losing money in the US because and not despite of the weak dollar. Think of it this way, they're building the cars in Germany paying salaries in strong (expensive) euros but selling the same cars in the US for weak (cheap) dollars.

The solution? Now they'll be building those cars in the 'local' market to offset any currency fluctuation - paying salaries in weak dollars however, they'll be getting paid in the same weak dollars - Verstehen Sie?

No, you need to read it again. VW has been producing those cars in Mexico for years. As bad as our dollar is, it is still stronger than the Peso.....for now. Unles that TN plant will produce its own parts, they will still have the same costs for parts production as the Mexico plants have.

That's close. Our free trade agreements are not free. They come at a cost to America because they are not evenly distributed. If our free trade agreements were not as one-sided as many of them are, we would have true free trade. But they are one sided against American companies. Some of our politicians know this and have tried to even the playing field. As long as we give corporations a pass to go outside, our country will suffer. THAT bit of my rant has nothing to with DHL but our trade policy, which is anti-American.
That's funny because if you were to discuss this with a bunch of Europeans (born in Europe myself) they'd tell you the exact opposite is true. The Europeans would say that when competing against America they can never win because their costs are so much higher - they’re probably right. Think about it - they all have 5-6 weeks government/taxes paid vacation, semi-socialized health care (taxes), etc, etc. When it comes to competition very few countries have a chance to even come close to our competitive edge.

What you're seeing now is a supply & demand situation where the weak dollar brings us some jobs from some countries while the even weaker, although strengthening, Chinese Yuan, South Korean Won, etc, etc take away some other jobs from us.

Nothing new, has been going on for hundreds of years and will be going on for thousands of years. I'm not saying all trade pacts are totally fair and some need improvements on both sides but it's very farfetched to claim that our trade policy is anti-American. Just my worthless ½¢ on the matter.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back