Ups Pilots Blame Concessionary Capt Rates On Fedex Proposal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
L'il J.Seinfeld said:
It passes the logic test because the NMB is overseeing the negotiations at both UPS and FedEx. WHen our EB asked for XX dollars and the FedEx retirement the mediatior said "if you want the FDX retirement, then why don't you ask for FDX payrates", which were substantially lower than what UPS mgt was preparing to pay. We were days away from a TA last Dec with top Capt pay over 250 when FDX ALPA's lowball offer became known to the NMB.

It is stupid to point fingers. I am thrilled to be making over 100K my second year with this TA.

Thats because your a loser who really isn't qualified to be working at UPS so $100k your second year sounds great to a shmuck like yourself. Thats why your ass was in the pool so long. I cant wait to find out who you are. I know your in either the first or the second July05 class. I'll find out who you are soon enough you selfish, ignorant bastard!!!

capt. megadeth said:
Someone please explain to me how a $33 an hour raise is "concessionary".

I don't have a problem with trying to get as much as you can (and what the company can sustain to give you for the long term), but to call our rates concessionary is just stupid.

You my friend need a lesson in finance. These rates don't even keep up with inflation. If you work for UPS and have attended a road show you would know this. Get informed!!

Flybwoy,
My biggest worry is that the latest 300 new hires are ging to vote yes because most of them are FO's and they stand to get $40,000 in "Bonus" just for being on the property for 1 year. The other side of the coin is that these pilots are still in awe that they have the potential to make $100,000 a year, for year 2 pay of the proposed TA. Coming from where most of them did, that alot of money, and heII, "their just happy to be here"
What they dont understand is that UPS specifically did this to "Buy" their vote. Might seem crazy, but after they have a few years here on the new RES system or get shuttled out to ANC as their new domicile, or allowing the company the leverage that this new TA does as far as staffing and their upgrade will be 15 years + in the future, they might get a clue as to their mistake of voting yes. UPS is smiling to their faces and offering them in one hand, 40 grand, but in the other hand behind UPS's back is a knife that UPS is planning to stab them in the back with as soon as they sign yes to this TA... You can talk to these guys (and girls) as long as you want, but very few of them will listen...
I'm not saying that there are not good things in this contract, there are, but realize that there is alot of bad stuff as well and most the bad stuff (that the union is not talking about) greatly effects Jr, FO's the most. We can decide our own future here, but you have to willing to take a chance. 40 Grand is nothing to me when I think of the overall terms of this contract. I am willing to sacrafice that 40G to get a better contract for the long term.
The 98 contract went for the quick money and basically blinded everyone. Hell, who cares what a 4th year Capt makes right. We'll most of our money in this contract TA is being used to correct the mistakes of short sidedness of the pilot group in 98. 04, 05, new hires, Make sure you read the contract and ask many questions. You may be Domestic now, but come Jan, you could be Intl... Everything else matter most and 40G matter less of all...
The union is doing a great job at pointing out all the good things in this TA, make sure and look at the bad stuff as well. Here is the website that will point out the less desirable, day in, day out stuff that will effect you most all the time... http://ipaontop.org/

capt. megadeth said:
Uh, ya....ok

Get something ridiculous and then give back half a few years later. No thanks.
As opposed to settling for something less and then giving back half a few years later anyway?

Negotiate every penny, work rule, benefit you can get when times are good. They will always be looking for givebacks when times get rough.

capt. megadeth said:
In my perfect little world a company like UPS would say "Well, we have more than enough willing to come for $26K but heck, we don't want you all eating Ramen noodles your first year, so we'll give you $50K". Unfortunately it ain't gonna happen.
Exactly!! A little basic figuring on my part...I took and added 30 grand a year to 200 pilots. I figure that is the average number of guys at 1st year pay at UPS historically and it comes out to 6 million more per year. That is chump change to UPS which had 42.6 billion in revenue and 3.9 billion in profit alone. As far as "more than enough willing applicants"...well look at companies like Focus, Southern, Centurion, etc with captains not even earning 6 figures! So UPS knows there are plenty of people out there at other companies who are more than able to get the job done that would work for less than 6 figures as senior captains at UPS, but UPS knows a contract like that would be struck down by those of you already there. I think if the union negotiators made it a point to demand a living wage for the 1st year guys, it would happen. Even Horizon 1st year Dash 8 pilots earn more than UPS. That is a travesty!

Last edited:
Green, not right now anyway, and I am sure the UAL DAL pilots felt the same way about unending profitibility.

Flybwoy said:
I cant wait to find out who you are. I know your in either the first or the second July05 class. I'll find out who you are soon enough you selfish, ignorant bastard!!!

And then what, are you going to egg his flight bag? If you really want a piece of him, why don't you just PM him your name and contact information and you can have it out. Or would you rather call him out on FI and drop anonymous hatemail into his v-file while you hide behind your screenname. Talk about 100% IPA, this union makes me sick. You get a vote, and so does he. Deal with it.

Flybwoy said:
You my friend need a lesson in finance. These rates don't even keep up with inflation. If you work for UPS and have attended a road show you would know this. Get informed!!

Um, I did go to a road show....but thanks for the advice.

You know, in our perfect little world, our pay would keep up with inflation. Newsflash! PEOPLE WORKING A LOT OF JOBS DON'T GET RAISES MUCH LESS RAISES THAT KEEP UP WITH INFLATION!

Do you know that only 3% of people make over 100K?

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
What they dont understand is that UPS specifically did this to "Buy" their vote. You may be Domestic now, but come Jan, you could be Intl

BB: I understand this completely....it was the first thought in my mind when I saw the TA rates and "bonus". Secondly, I really don't buy the notion that all of the junior people will be forced to international because of the TA's international rules. I have heard that int'l is the best gig going and a FO told me he made $180K last year with all the overrides, etc. I am not buying into the fact that all these guys will go fly 4 legs a night in a 757 domestically because they have to deadhead to SDF from ANC extending their day to 19 hours. If I am wrong.....you can say I told you so.
Also, please understand, we are not all in "awe". Yes, I can use 40K (I am sure you can too) but it doesn't mean I will vote for it because of that.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back