Ups Pilots Blame Concessionary Capt Rates On Fedex Proposal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correct Rates

Boost's numbers are correct. I was at the union hub meeting last week and that aligns almost exactly with what our union president said were our current table positions.

Gee Sniz, did you tell them about the time you, me, and all the FDX F-15 guys got together and said..."hey...how we can we screw over those UPS guys?"..:rolleyes:

GoABX said:
Now does this pass the logic test?

How would UPS mgt know what the FDX pilots are proposing? If the rates were low the IPA isn't going to tell UPS mgt (not that they'd know either). FDX managment isn't going to tell UPS mgt, because if UPS finishes first then it increases the cost to FDX.

ABX was probably used as a minimum threshold. We had the highest hourly rates, but we are paid 20% less than your old contracts because our guarantee is only 65 hours.

Both unions need to go BIG. The job for us and Astar is convincing management we know we are part of a worldwide express operator and not a Kitty Hawk, Fine Air, Burlington, etc. like they are trying to convince us of.

It passes the logic test because the NMB is overseeing the negotiations at both UPS and FedEx. WHen our EB asked for XX dollars and the FedEx retirement the mediatior said "if you want the FDX retirement, then why don't you ask for FDX payrates", which were substantially lower than what UPS mgt was preparing to pay. We were days away from a TA last Dec with top Capt pay over 250 when FDX ALPA's lowball offer became known to the NMB.

It is stupid to point fingers. I am thrilled to be making over 100K my second year with this TA.

capt. megadeth said:
Uh, ya....ok

Get something ridiculous and then give back half a few years later. No thanks.

whats ridiculous about those rates????? If SWA can be profitable and pay their captains 190/hr to fly a 737 why can't FedEx/UPS/Ual/DAl/etc pay $300+ to fly an aircraft which carries more than twice the pax/cargo and usually at premium fares (international)? Somebody please answer that question.

I think we are often our own worst enemies. Who says you have to give it back Capt Megadeth? The cargo industry does not suffer the same woes that the pax carriers deal with. You should be asking for more than Ual/dal had based on your massive profitability and market dominance. My .02. Obviously most don't aggree...

Green said:
The cargo industry does not suffer the same woes that the pax carriers deal with.

No, we suffer different woes.

What if China decides it has had enough of Taiwan and the "two China" idea,lobs a couple of misslies and the US embargos goods to/from China?

What if India and Pakistan decide to go at it?

How about another SARS outbreak and no cargo flights to/from China?

What if Congress decides that every package on a cargo airplane needs to be x-rayed?

There's some stuff to worry about, maybe not the same stuff, but cargo isn't invincible.

The paradigm that pilot wages should directly correlate to net income of the company is ridiculous. It works both ways; when the company loses money we should not be giving up pay and just because UPS makes billions does not mean we deserve a half million a year.

What we do is not that irreplacable. The military can train a kid to be an aircraft commander of a C-17/KC-10/C-5 with less than 1000 hours total flight time. We deserve a piece of the pie, don't get me wrong. But what is the difference between us and a UPS truck driver demanding 200k a year just because the company is making profits?

How much does a Capt need? This TA will deliver $220/year. I can't imagine what I'd spend it on and I have a big family, new house, and nice cars. Bitching about the scheduling rules or retirement in the TA I can understand. But how can anyone keep a straight face and call our proposed pay raise pathetic!!??

What I'd like to know about is that pathetic 1st year pay of 27 an hour. How much would it really cost the company to raise that to a minimum of 50 an hour where it should be? Except for the military pilots, which seem to make up 80% of the new hires at FedEx and UPS anyway, the rest of us have suffered through the abhorrent pay of the small 135 operators, or worse yet, the regional airlines. Anyone with the experience to get a job at this level should be paid a living wage.

pipejockey said:
What I'd like to know about is that pathetic 1st year pay of 27 an hour. How much would it really cost the company to raise that to a minimum of 50 an hour where it should be? Except for the military pilots, which seem to make up 80% of the new hires at FedEx and UPS anyway, the rest of us have suffered through the abhorrent pay of the small 135 operators, or worse yet, the regional airlines. Anyone with the experience to get a job at this level should be paid a living wage.

I agree. However, UPS's view is that they have more than enough willing applicants to come and work for that little. I do think the first year pay is pathetic and even if the TA passes, $33/hr is pathetic too although a lot of us can't really say anything.....we went to work there for $26K. In my perfect little world a company like UPS would say "Well, we have more than enough willing to come for $26K but heck, we don't want you all eating Ramen noodles your first year, so we'll give you $50K". Unfortunately it ain't gonna happen.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back