• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS or AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, I was all for UPS when I started reading this string. I work for AirTran, and would not leave the left seat here to start over at UPS, but if I was an FO, I probably would . . . . however, after reading the comments by Nut-work King, I am reminded of how painful it is to work within a culture like that . . . EVERYTHING is a grievance . . . . . and EVERY hour spent flying is a chore. . . . . . must be a disfficult way to go through life . . . . but it looks good on you. Chief.

Hey, if you like night flyin, and your leaning to carrying people, Air Trans has plently of night flyin. Proof...Its 5am MEM time, and I'm just goin to bed. I guess its all about the completion factor.

Good night, and good luck!

If you have to ask that question you should go to airtran you'll fit with that group well.

Dude, my ten year old uses better grammar and sentence structure than you. And again, instead of espousing your BS on the board, next time you see one of "that group" in a security line next to you, maybe you should grow a pair and confront them with your inane BS. Better hope it ain't me though cause you'll be needing some dental work after our chat. Until then your nothing more than a putt-knocker hiding behind a computer. Wimp.

RV

Proof...Its 5am MEM time, and I'm just goin to bed. I guess its all about the completion factor.

Good night, and good luck!

That's the way it is here. As a commuter, it sure beats seeing apparently random flights cancelled throughout the system...

ATL is horrible in terms of trying to keep the airline on-time. Oh, if only we had another base. I hear CAK, but maybe that's just my hope based on driving distance (I've already givin up on PIT).

It's a tough call. 1st year pay is better at AirTran. Top pay is better at UPS. If you live in/near ATL that may factor in as well.

Well for Net-Work-Ing, it's a very easy decision, and I may very well be an idiot for suggesting otherwise, but you have to make a decision that's best for you. Do your homework, ask your questions, make a decision, and don't look back.

I have friends at UPS who love it there (and others that don't)--Same with AirTran.

Good luck.

It's a legitimate question. Some people don't want to work at night, regardless of the pay. I declined a UPS interview years ago, because I didn't want to spend the rest of my career working graveyard. They can't pay me enough to live like that.

If you declined an interview because you didn't want to fly at night why did you apply in the first place? Seems kinda odd.

Lastly, go where YOU want to go and hang on for the ride. If you had been asked DELTA, UNITED, AMERICAN or Fedex back in 98,99 what would you have done? I had a 5 year FedEx guy in my class, he is probably kicking himself in the you know what.

If you had the option of UAL, or Air Tran where would you have gone? What about UsAirways or Jetblue in 99? B737, A320 Captain, or furlough just returning, or in the other case still looking for work.

There are NO gurantees. I am happy for the freight guys, and other carriers posting a profit, however this business can turn on it's A$$ in seconds, and there is no telling who is going to get pumelled.

Good Luck,

AA

Last edited:
UPS was certainly not my first choice but I applied anyways because I wanted a flying job. Long term there is lots of money to be made working at UPS or FEDEX.
After I got the job offer at AirTran, I stopped persuing UPS and FEDEX. I think the flying at AirTran better suits what I would rather do. With the growth, I quickly got enough seniority to get a great schedule every month. If I fly late at night or a red-eye it is because I choose to do it - not because it is the only flying available to me.
I know I will never see the money I could have had at UPS or FedEx but it isn't just about the money.

I know I will never see the money I could have had at UPS or FedEx but it isn't just about the money.

Sure it is. In this country, first you get the money, then you get the power, THEN you get the woman. At least thats what I heard from a Cuban guy I know.

I'd like to fly one hour/year and make 700k. Then I'd buy a nice airplane and really enjoy the flying.

Duuude!

Dat's like funny an stuff! Da Tranny peeps be missin you Phay-Dude.

Since you been at da Tranny and like flyin dem boxes (we dont need no stinkin boxes), you be like da Cat dat can like be tellin ole Home-Boy whazzup and like whut to be doin and stuffs!

How tings goin in da land o' Fred? Good Kharma to you Phay Duude---------honorhairee Tranny fer life!

AWWWW YEEEAAAHHH!!!!

AirTran: Small airline feel. Great camraderie. Great guys to fly with. Pay is decent. Legs are short. Quick seniority and upgrade. Great equipment. Laid back environment. More or less fun to go to work.

UPS: Great pay. Great stability. Apparently, the rigs are such that you can fly very little if you want and still make good money. Don't know if it's fun to go to work there. I've heard from some that it's not. I've heard from others that they don't mind it.

YOU CAN'T BE SEROIUS!!!
One of the highest paid flying jobs in the world, defined benefit pension plan, B-fund, flying heavies all over the world, unbeatable job security, never worry about TSA again, no more passengers or flight attendants, compared to the former VALUE JET!!!

Latest resources

Back