UPS Interview 03/31

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rory Bellows said:
I guess everyone has individual circumstances, but I know I’d never be able to look my recommendations in the eye again if I'd done something similar.
RB

av8trix said:
EXACTLY. Now, all the guys that his sponsor knows are screwed. I couldn't do that either.

You guys have got to be kidding me. If you were only pursuing UPS, that was very foolish. If you were wisely pursuing both then you run the risk of saying no to one carrier. As a member of our training dept., I have recommended several (5) of our current group, two new hires. I told all of them to pursue all the top jobs and let the chips fall where they may.

The fact is that when there is clearly a better choice, a few studs will have that choice. I hope that our new contract will have guys bailing from FDX to join our ranks.

Rory and Av8trix: Don't let your insecurities show- we're all hoping to close the gap on the purple monster.

Cruiseclimb said:
You guys have got to be kidding me.
Insecurities? Hmmm, I’ll have to think about that one.

No one ever said don’t send your resume to more than one company. For me, UPS has always been my goal and I am both lucky and happy to be here.

With regard to your statements, “you run the risk of saying no to one carrier” and “let the chips fall where they may,” you’re absolutely right. However, I think most would agree it’s best to say no to that one carrier prior to saying yes. It not only reflects poorly on those who were your sponsor, but it reflects poorly on yourself. The chips fell…and this guy said yes to UPS. There was still one carrier left to say no to.

Who cares, you say? The guy’s got the job he wants? Well, personally I don’t care anything about this guy in particular. I have no idea who he is. I just think his actions were somewhat unethical. There were other ways to handle the situation. Maybe he could have delayed class at UPS to see what was going to happen with FedEx?

When I sat at that interview (twice) and said I wanted to be at UPS, I meant it. Apparently, some people say they want to be at UPS, and convincingly enough, but what they really mean to say is they want to be at UPS if FedEx doesn’t call first. But I guess saying that doesn’t bode very well in an interview.

I’m not insecure. I just appreciate what my sponsors did for me. I think walking out in your first week is a pretty lousy way to show your appreciation.

It’s all moot though. It’s just my opinion.

Rory

Rory Bellows said:
I have no idea who he is. I just think his actions were somewhat unethical. There were other ways to handle the situation. Maybe he could have delayed class at UPS to see what was going to happen with FedEx?

Delay class and give up 50-100 numbers when FedEx might say no, all in an effort to be ethical? Obviously you have never been furloughed (although highly unlikely at Brown) with a family to support.

By the way, someone who frequents this board passed up a class in Nov to protect our freedom. Guess what? He is still swimming in the pool. If you pass up a class here you better have a darn good reason and waiting for FDX is not looked upon as a good reason. Maybee he should have been unethical and lied about the reason for the delay in an effort to be ethical? Do you realize how ridiculous you reasoning has become?

You guys sound like you are young and idealistic. This issue is old news, it's no longer Braniff vs American etc. Just the names have changed.

Bottom line: if you care enough about someone to sponsor them, then respect the fact that they will do what is best for their family.

Rory and Av8trix, I'm sure your both fine pilots and I look forward to training you one day. However, the 5 or 12 that left us for FDX are doing us a huge favor in our negotiations.

Some of you here on this board sure seem to pass judgment on folks without really knowing the persons circumstances! Who cares why this person left? It's obvious they felt their reason was good enough to walk out and have it reflect negatively on the person who recommended them. So maybe the went to Fed Ex. Who cares! More power to them. As for the person who did the recommending, I'm sure they will have a chat with this person. So lets stop the young adolescent chatter and talk about something more meaningful!!! Wouldn't you agree?

Flybwoy said:
Some of you here on this board sure seem to pass judgment on folks without really knowing the persons circumstances!
I said in the beginning I don’t know this persons circumstances.

And I’ve already said my thoughts are simply opinion.

To each their own.

RB

Latest resources

Back