UPS Interview 03/31

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IHaveAPension said:
Heard UPS hired a female Commutair Beech 1900 Captain recently. So it sounds like Beech 1900 time is good enough!

No! This person worked for the company years prior and had many letters of rec. Just cause you have flight time doesn't make you qualified. You still have to compete for the interview and the job. Right? Or let me guess, since your daddy went to Harvard you feel you should get in too?

IHaveAPension said:
The grass isn't any greener (or purpler) over here.

Actually the grass is much greener and purpler.

30K more first year

about 70K cumulative more over first 5 years- probably much more with quicker upgrade to FO

Upgrade 5.5 vs 9.5-10

better sick and vacation

better work rules

A & B Fund cumulatively a wash

UPS is an INCREDIBLE company that is going to get a HUGE raise one week before FDX settles at UPS + 1% and keeps the aformentioned advantages

Ask our IPA- 12 have left for FDX out of 120 new hires 10%

The IPA loves it- good for negotiations and a BIG black eye for brown.

So much for the 3% turnover rate!

Brown has built me a huge house and bought many toys- however it is nice to see them get knocked a peg.

I'd rather be 2nd most desireable than be a bankrupt Pax carrier.

av8trix said:
EXACTLY. Now, all the guys that his sponsor knows are screwed. I couldn't do that either.

BROWN RUMOR CONTROL

Not true!

Someone I sponsored passed up an April class at the last minute. HR sent me an E-mail that day. When I told them he was going to FDX they were not suprised (12 this year). They know it is near impossible to lure those best of the best who have a choice until they offer legitimate compensation.

One of my other sponsors was called with a class date this week!

CruiseClimb,

Can you let us know what class date your sponsor got this week. Was it for a May class and if so what are the dates of the May classes and breakdowns if they are available. Looking for any info on upcoming classdates.

Thanks

Cruiseclimb said:
BROWN RUMOR CONTROL

Not true!

Someone I sponsored passed up an April class at the last minute. HR sent me an E-mail that day. When I told them he was going to FDX they were not suprised (12 this year). They know it is near impossible to lure those best of the best who have a choice until they offer legitimate compensation.

That's what HR told us. Maybe they were just threatening; I don't know. I'll be glad if it's not true as I don't think it would be fair to punish all the future hopefuls his sponsor knows on the actions of one guy. Turns out he's in my husband's FDX class.

Regarding Beech 1900 time, I spoke with a manager several months ago and he confirmed that they are primarliy looking for jet time in their candidates. My advice, prior to this new hiring push, had been to fly a 1900 as it usually will get you the 1000 hours PIC the quickest. That advice has now changed. I am now recommending an RJ job over a 1900 job, even though the upgrade is usually much longer. For those that are currently 1900 drivers and interested in UPS, get your 1000 hours PIC and then get into a jet. I've seen guys leave 1900 jobs before getting their 1000 hours in the left seat. Professionally speaking, I feel that's unwise as you're missing a chance to check a very important box that you won't get for quite a few years.

As for those leaving UPS for FedEx, I completely understand that as you move a lot faster up the seniority list there than at Brown. Add the insulting first year pay and it's a no-brainer! $400/week (take home) barely covers the mortgage, let alone food, utilities, and clothes for the kids. Keep in mind that our new hires are most likely working on retro pay.

Last edited:
Cruiseclimb said:
One of my other sponsors was called with a class date this week!

When you say "sponsor" at UPS, what do you mean. Can an individual (pilot) at UPS do more than simply writing an online rec. for someone seeking a job?

Thanks!

What if you don't know anyone at UPS / FEDEX ?

My friend's son is getting outta the Navy (F-18) pretty soon, & has no contacts at either carrier. He really wants to work at FEDEX or UPS. Does he stand a chance ?

320AV8R

Rory Bellows said:
I guess everyone has individual circumstances, but I know I’d never be able to look my recommendations in the eye again if I'd done something similar.

RB

The guy that wrote his recomendation got a nice little love note from UPS HR. I am sure that they won't forget.

Cruiseclimb said:
Ask our IPA- 12 have left for FDX out of 120 new hires 10.

I heard the figure was 5. I was talking to Bill T. (our lawyer) and he told me "some" have left. I imagine that it is in our interest to infalte the number. I'm glad that those leaving will end up where they want, but in the process they have screwed the guys that recomended them, all of that guys friends, and all of those in the pool, waiting for their call.

Latest resources

Back