Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: I agree with BBDC8

hr2eternity said:
Nothing happens till Atlanta gives the go-ahead. That said, there WAS a reason they didn't attend the past two years and there is likely a REASON they're attending this year.

UPS may not have been at Air Inc., but they were at Women in Aviation in full force. I asked why they were there, but weren't hiring. They said they were recruiting management pilots and were seeking resumes. Given the labor-management relations at UPS, it didn't sound like a very rewarding job (in the sense of helping others). Seemed to me that the positions were open for a reason. I don't know if they ever filled the management pilot positions, maybe they are still looking.

Skirt

Last edited:
Re: Re: I agree with BBDC8

skirt said:
UPS may not have been at Air Inc., but they were at Women in Aviation in full force. I asked why they were there, but weren't hiring. They said they were recruiting management pilots and were seeking resumes. Given the labor-management relations at UPS, it didn't sound like a very rewarding job (in the sense of helping others). Seemed to me that the positions were open for a reason. I don't know if they ever filled the management pilot positions, maybe they are still looking.

Skirt

One thing about UPS regardless of whether they are hiring or not, they ALWAYS have a HUGE presence at both WIA and OBAP. In fact UPS displaces, pay protects and covers the expenses for crewmembers who are on the leadership councils of either organization. I'm not saying that UPS is being overly PC, but they would not displace me to attend the OCRAP convention!

Re: Re: Re: I agree with BBDC8

UPSer said:
One thing about UPS regardless of whether they are hiring or not, they ALWAYS have a HUGE presence at both WIA and OBAP. In fact UPS displaces, pay protects and covers the expenses for crewmembers who are on the leadership councils of either organization.

Hmmm, an organization for women pilots, and one for black pilots. Could someone tell me the organization for white male pilots??

Oh, silly me!! There is none. That would be wrong and racist, and sexist:rolleyes:

Now if only I were a black female pilot I'd be put directly in the Captains seat on the 747:eek:

Re: Re: Re: Re: I agree with BBDC8

pipejockey said:
Hmmm, an organization for women pilots, and one for black pilots. Could someone tell me the organization for white male pilots??

Oh, silly me!! There is none. That would be wrong and racist, and sexist:rolleyes:

Now if only I were a black female pilot I'd be put directly in the Captains seat on the 747:eek:

OCRAP is what you are looking for. Organization of Caucasian Republican Airline Pilots.

pipejockey said:

All white males (and everyone else for that matter) are more than welcome to attend the WIA or OBAP job fair. Neither organization excludes anyone, as that would be hypocritical. In fact, the smart guys DO go to these job fairs instead of the Air Inc. ones, as the lines are MUCH shorter. (Tip of the day, you will most definitely be noticed, and given time if you attend WIA or OBAP). Over the years I have attended all three conventions (including the pre-Air Inc. FAPA conventions). Yes, even the OBAP (Organization of Black Airline Pilots), though I can assure you I am most definitely white. I have felt welcome everywhere. No matter where, great people are there to help. In most cases, the recruiters are the same, no matter the convention.

Didn't mean to cause such a thread drift.

Skirt.

pipejockey said:

I asked one of my female pilot freiends that question once.

Her reply was "ALPA"

how it is

If you're black and you want to start a company that markets predominantly to black youths...you can hire almost 100% black people as your employees...that is perfectly legit. It's great marketing. You're a genius. In fact you could call it FUBU and become a gazzilionaire.

If you're white...you better play fair.

That's how it is. Emotional baggage left over because of our country's deep-rooted racial issues that go back to pre-revolutionary war America.

As far as women...if they make up 50% of the population they should get preferential treatment until they make up 50% of the pilot force right?

That's logical and fair...the rest of you just move on back to the end of the line...your daddy's world was unfair to us so now we're gonna get you back.

This is a big problem in corporate America...dealing with gender/race and most of the CEO/CFO/COO melon-head crowd believes in the PC propaganda because they can't afford not to. Either "buy in" or paint a swastika on your forehead.

Last edited:
Good advice skirt. I didn't know that men were allowed to the WIA and that whites were allowed to OBAP. I don't know if I'd go though, I hate to stand out in a crowd. I like to blend.

You know the NFL will fine a team a hefty sum if they don't bring in a black coach to interview. Take Dallas for instance. Every fool knew Jerry Jones wanted Parcells and he courted Parcells heavily. But If I'm correct, they were fined for not interviewing a black coach. They called a few, but the coaches knew Jones wasn't serious about anyone but Parcells so none came in to be interviewed. This I say is pure craziness!!

This is a UPS thread, sorry. So I will make a prediction...UPS hires 150 in 04, and I will be one of them!! Well maybe not the last part of that prediction:D

pipejockey said:
You know the NFL will fine a team a hefty sum if they don't bring in a black coach to interview. Take Dallas for instance. Every fool knew Jerry Jones wanted Parcells and he courted Parcells heavily. But If I'm correct, they were fined for not interviewing a black coach. They called a few, but the coaches knew Jones wasn't serious about anyone but Parcells so none came in to be interviewed

Incorrect. The NFL decided that the Cowboys were in complience with the minority hiring practices by offering interviews to Dennis Green, among others. Even though they were phone interviews, and not face to face, they satisfied the letter of the law of the NFL.

Detroit, however, in hiring Steve Mariucci without interviewing any minority candidates whatsoever, was levied a hefty fine. Detroit's position was that they couldn't get any minority candidates to accept an interview because it was common knowledge that Mariucci was their man. This explanation did not fly with the NFL, so the fine was levied anyway.

Latest resources

Back