Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Old School 737

NG's now and it is A OK!!
Lookinng for any help on how to get on at UPS. I know that they have been very big on internal refrences but unfortunatly I have none. I filled out the online resume form but I was wondering if there is anything else or another application to fill out that the uninformed might not know about. As you can see from my profile I am not a light time guy. I have good experience and would welcome any help that you old school guys, new hire, or just called for an interview guys might have to offer. Thanks in advance.
Also if anybody knows Mike Oconner at UPS I would like to get a hold of him. He and I worked together for a very short time and I lost track of him.

If you don't know anyone at UPS, you are SOL. Also your flight time isn't all that high for a newhire there.

Do you know anyone in management there that is not a pilot? That might work. I don't think your time is necessarily low for a new person there. IMHO, with your time, it's basically to the point of "who you know", know what I mean?
Good Luck!

Big Brown DC8, Networ-King, Clyde....any input?

By the way, what ever happened to Freight Nazi?

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but during my interview at UPS, one of the interviewers confirmed that virtually no one gets an interview without having an internal recommendation.

As you would expect, having a referral from someone you've flown with is probably best, but any referral is better than none. Also, non-pilot UPS employees can make internal recommendations, but I'm not sure how much weight they have.

Best of luck in the process!

Okaythen said:
As you would expect, having a referral from someone you've flown with is probably best, but any referral is better than none. Also, non-pilot UPS employees can make internal recommendations, but I'm not sure how much weight they have.

See, I always heard management (any management) was better than a line pilot rec. but who knows? Everyone I know hired had AT LEAST one rec.

Letters of rec.

See, I always heard management (any management) was better than a line pilot rec. but who knows? Everyone I know hired had AT LEAST one rec.

I agree with this. I believe that a management rec. is probably the best you could get, then a pilot, then someone else. I also agree that if you don't have a letter of rec at all, you unfortunately don't have a chance. I was told by HR as well that everyone interviewed has at least one letter.

If someone from Atlanta calls Louisville for you, then you WILL get an interview right away. If a line guy writes a recommendation for you, you'll be waiting a while. Remember this is a trucking company that owns an airline.

Last edited:
i have a friend that has 5 letters (one of which is mngt.) and lots of time and can't get the call. at this point, i'm not sure what is required to get the call. still believe you need at least one letter.

fbt

flybrowntails said:
i have a friend that has 5 letters (one of which is mngt.) and lots of time and can't get the call. at this point, i'm not sure what is required to get the call. still believe you need at least one letter.

fbt

It's quite possible that YOU have too many exception reports in your file. I've been told by PM in HR that if recommendor has too many exception reports in their file that the company will disregard a recommendation from that person. HR said the reasoning behind that is that if the employee is "troublesome" they don't want a troublesome employee's friend to work here too.

freightnazi:

that is a good point. 3-4 of his letters are from new-hires. i wouldn't think they would have anything in their file????? (and they are still asking for more of that delicious brown flavored Tang drink--you know its the drink of cargo pilots)

fbt

Latest resources

Back