• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigMotorToter

At least 300 UPS pilots to be furloughed

Posted on February 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Louisville, Ky. (WHAS11) - At least 300 UPS airline pilots are going to be taking some time off due to some furlough days.

UPS says they have been working with its union for the past year to cut operating costs and avoid furloughs.

UPS promised no furloughs in 2009 but recent discussions with the union have failed to create any cost cutting measures.

UPS employs about 2,800 pilots.

The furloughs will be phased in with the first 170 pilots getting notices in 2010.

They will be furloughed in May.

Ouchie....Several of my DAL and NWA bros blew outta town to go to Big Brown thinking they were going to greener pastures.

Goes to show, the grass may only be greener because it's over the septic tank....

Nu

How far back as far as hire date does this go, for 300, if true? I am very sorry, lots of good guys I flew with had made the jump.

What's better? (and this is a serious question): Furloughing 300 pilots or chopping pay across the board 40%?

I'm just wondering what the opinions are here.

What's better? (and this is a serious question): Furloughing 300 pilots or chopping pay across the board 40%?

That all depends on where you sit on the seniority list...#1 and the plug are going to give you different answers....Then Rez. will lecture us on the "proper" answer.....

It is already being done at FDX... not sure if its 40% though... the problem is... the junior guys like it b/c they get to work and pay the house note....

The senior guys hate it becuase they can't pay the......

boat note
alimony note
time share note
kids college note
Neiman Marcus note
SUV note
harley note
other alimony note
sports car note
girlfriend note

The senior guys hate it becuase they can't pay the......

boat note
alimony note
time share note
kids college note
Neiman Marcus note
SUV note
harley note
other alimony note
sports car note
girlfriend note

That's the easy answer, Rez. I can also list the longterm consequences of allowing them to permanently and irreversibly cut pay (it's always irreversible, if history teaches us anything). It really depends on what management wants in terms of pay reduction. It's one thing if the company wants 5%, and a completely other situation if the company wants 30-40% or bust.

The only certainty is that whatever the UPS pilots give up (taking inflation into account), they will never get it back. Ever.

That's the easy answer, Rez. I can also list the longterm consequences of allowing them to permanently and irreversibly cut pay (it's always irreversible, if history teaches us anything). It really depends on what management wants in terms of pay reduction. It's one thing if the company wants 5%, and a completely other situation if the company wants 30-40% or bust.

The only certainty is that whatever the UPS pilots give up (taking inflation into account), they will never get it back. Ever.

The FDX guys have in the their contract....BLG I believe...(???) do the UPS guys? If not will they have to do a LOA?

Latest resources

Back