Upgrade time at SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sf260pilot

How long will it take new hires to upgrade to Captain at SWA? I've heard many different numbers.
Are they planning to run any upgrade classes soon?
Are there any ways to speed up the process by staying longer at a junior base?

sf260pilot said:
How long will it take new hires to upgrade to Captain at SWA? I've heard many different numbers.
There are going to b different numbers because there are so many variables (our growth, age 60 rule, productivity enhancments, other airlines' activities ...). You might hear as low as 5 years, but that seems unlikely (to me). If you assume 8-9 years you probably won't be dissappointed. When you get hired you can go to the SWAPA website and use their "senority projector" which uses current aircraft orders and pilot retirments to give you an idea.
Are they planning to run any upgrade classes soon?
Yes, almost constantly.
Are there any ways to speed up the process by staying longer at a junior base?
Yes, but the junior base can change. Many guys commute to a junior base for upgrade and then back where they want to be when they can hold it.

I am pretty pessimistic in my assumptions about upgrade, because I'd rather be surprized than dissappointed. I also know that I'll choose QOL over upgrade because of the age of my children.

FO benefits, QOL and pay are excellent here. And I think the career possibilities here are unbeatable; stable, steady growth and profitability.

Good luck

I started March of 2004. The union website shows me upgrading in late 2009. Seems sort of early, but apparently in the past upgrades have usually (always?) come sooner than the website shows. Caveat, I was hired right at the beginning of the current growth spurt (have 800 so behind me in 1.5 years) whereas someone who was hired two years before me might have about 1300 behind them. the 9/11 effect if you will. Of course, I was in the pool 2+ years too, so it really is all a matter of if you were waiting while on the company seniority list (getting paid) or waiting to get on the list (not getting paid). What I'm saying is that the guys with the longest upgrades in the future are likely to be the guys that were hired just prior to/after 9/11. A 8 year upgrade (guess) is long by historical SWA standards but they did have employment during one of the toughest times in the US airline industry.

Ivauir covered the other factors well, i.e. age 60, new contract, and deliveries could all skew this one way or the other.

5 years baby, 5 years!!!

Uprgrade

I've been at SWA 6 1/2 years and should uprade a few months prior to the seven year point. As was stated earlier, 9/11 had an impact on upgrade time. That's a small price to pay when you compare the affects of 9/11 on the other companies in this industry!

Age 60 changes will add 2-3 years to upgrade time IMHO.

Cheers,
Cheese

SWA/FO said:
5 years baby, 5 years!!!

If the age requirements go to 65 it'll be 10 years.

Senior guys got thousands of stock options. Junior not. Senior guys living on "A" scale wages all their lives. Junior won't be. Senior guys can now chose to retire at age 60 if they want. Junior now forced to work to 65 to recuperate losses.

Greed....

7S3W7A said:

Senior guys got thousands of stock options. Junior not. Senior guys living on "A" scale wages all their lives. Junior won't be. Senior guys can now chose to retire at age 60 if they want. Junior now forced to work to 65 to recuperate losses.Greed....

Junior guys are making more money now then the senior guys did, when they were junior. I'm not on B scale..... you must not work here if you think the junior guys arn't doing to well. Junior guys have thousands of stock options too... Where you been? Not at SWA.

7S3W7A said:

Senior guys got thousands of stock options. Junior not. Senior guys living on "A" scale wages all their lives. Junior won't be. Senior guys can now chose to retire at age 60 if they want. Junior now forced to work to 65 to recuperate losses.

Greed....

Flame'r........................

Everybody gets a vote. In the old days the Dallas 40 had some power. Not any more. Majority wins, we go on from there whichever way a vote turns out. SWA has always been creative, used new ideas, always evolved so you dont fall into the proverbial pit of no return. That IMO is a good thing. Cheers.............

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back