Upgrade time at SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are being to kind.....dumba$$ sounds better to me:uzi:

Also, to getting back to the orginal question. Your upgrade will depend on where you want to be based/live. The bases that are senior for the most part are in order from when there were put on line. If you want to be a Dallas Captain you will wait a very long time. Bases came on line in the below order. The number next to each base it the very most junior Captain in that base as of this month.

1. Dallas............11 years, 8 months
2. Houston..........8 years, 5 months
3. Phoenix...........8 years, 5 months
4. Chicago...........6 years, 5 months
5. Oakland...........6 years, 8 months
6. Baltimore.........6 years, 4 months
7. Orlando...........6 years, 8 months

Also when I say junior CAPTAIN above I am refering that he/she holds the Captain seat (not a lance). You will upgrade sooner than the years posted above and you are called a lance Captain. Lances upgrade when they get in the top 8 percent senority of the base they are in. So when you are a lance you can pick up Captain trips on days off if you wish and are paid at Captain rates for the extra trips you pick up in the left seat while still being a senior FO. This allows you to build some left seat time before you are actulay tossed into the hopper. This also allows lance Captains that are already trained to be used by the company, so if the company gets a few more unexpected airplanes. Then there isnt a problem with slideing a few guys over to the left seat ASAP.

Last edited:
You mean Captain Kojak, Baby!!

Fyi

Just a little tid bit on this thread. The latest JetBlue class starting 11/30 has 2 SWA FO's that came over and 2 others who had jobs there and chose not to accept. Don't know what this means, but I have a feeling its to do with the age 65 rule going to pass, and the new work rules at SWA. I'm impartial and work as Mr. MoM.

My newhire class at SWA had a JetBlue guy in it...... I thought nothing of it?

The class behind me had a JetBlue dude. Mine had 2 10+ year America West Guys also. Don't think any of that means much other than personal preference.

IHATE PLANES said:
I have a feeling its to do with the age 65 rule going to pass, and the new work rules at SWA. .

Cant and wont try to guess why anyone would make that move, hopefully it wasnt because of "new work rules", because there are none.

some folks are just crazy.....could have been the guy that we fired for trying to steal a trip. (5 days before he was to get off probation)

Latest resources

Back