• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrade requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not being able to exercise your seniority because of restrictive language in your contract.

The only one that infringes on my seniority is the 500hrs with the company. The others are just good common sense overriding the fact that they hired 190hr wonder pilots instead of folks with some flying background. As an FO, I was pretty thankful for this. If things are moving fast enough for it to be an issue, 500 hrs is about 8-10 months. That doesnt seem like any great hardship. And there is always this:

(6) The Company may waive any of the above requirements for a given period of time with notice to the MEC Chairman. Should any of the requirements be waived for one pilot, they will be waived uniformly for all pilots during such period of time.

Hence, a moot point if it ever comes to it, like when they hired DECs back in the day....

But if it reinforces your sense of superiority, feel free to be outraged

The only one that infringes on my seniority is the 500hrs with the company. The others are just good common sense overriding the fact that they hired 190hr wonder pilots instead of folks with some flying background. As an FO, I was pretty thankful for this. If things are moving fast enough for it to be an issue, 500 hrs is about 8-10 months. That doesnt seem like any great hardship. And there is always this:

(6) The Company may waive any of the above requirements for a given period of time with notice to the MEC Chairman. Should any of the requirements be waived for one pilot, they will be waived uniformly for all pilots during such period of time.

Hence, a moot point if it ever comes to it, like when they hired DECs back in the day....

But if it reinforces your sense of superiority, feel free to be outraged

How about making it moot by letting the FARs and seniority to be the minimum? It's not like street captains are a new thing, much less a 6 month FO becoming a captain.

In times of quick movement, the upgrade minimums are usually waived by the company. I'm not sure why it's even a contractual thing; I'm sure the union doesn't really care as long as it is fair to everybody.

In times of quick movement, the upgrade minimums are usually waived by the company. I'm not sure why it's even a contractual thing; I'm sure the union doesn't really care as long as it is fair to everybody.

It is contractual because it is an exception to language that dictates filling vacancies by seniority. As you said the restrictions have been reduced in the past as needed. I personally don't think it is unreasonable for the company to prefer 500 hours of company time to ensure someone is familiar with the company's specific procedures, policies, culture, etc. before giving them command. If that ever becomes an issue I imagine it'll be reduced/waived like the TT limits. With upgrades just under 7 years it is not remotely a problem.

Who is mcpickle? And I was apologizing for your plight with your contract, by the way.

He's the short, loud mouth, sch. chairman that has the "napoleon complex" at XE and tells a handfull of minions what to say on the web boards. He's McPickle on "The Pipe".

Latest resources

Back