• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Upgrade requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, I stand corrected. Just on the ERJ side. There was only the requirement that you had an ATP written and 23 years old by the time you were in upgrade class.

Sorry, should have been more specific, for XJT CRJ side..

Minimum requirements:
(1) ATP written passed;
(2) Current First Class Medical Certificate;
(3) 3,000 hours total fixed wing pilot time;
(4) 2,000 hours total fixed wing multi engine pilot time; and
(5) 500 hours as a pilot with the Company.
(6) The Company may waive any of the above requirements for a given period of time with notice to the MEC Chairman. Should any of the requirements be waived for one pilot, they will be waived uniformly for all pilots during such period of time.

What are upgrade requirements at SkyWest/Express Jet?

Is it a TT type thing, or time at the company, or on specific aircraft, etc?

If I got hired with a good bit of TPIC on heavy mil. aircraft, does that experience count for anything?

Thanks

Your life and career are now controlled by the "numbers". Numbers means seniority/DOH. The better your number the better your life - it's a direct relationship.

For the most part you have no control over the numbers unless you drive fast and swerve in the employee lot or set wake up calls at 3am for your captain's room.

Sorry, should have been more specific, for XJT CRJ side..

Minimum requirements:
(1) ATP written passed;
(2) Current First Class Medical Certificate;
(3) 3,000 hours total fixed wing pilot time;
(4) 2,000 hours total fixed wing multi engine pilot time; and
(5) 500 hours as a pilot with the Company.
(6) The Company may waive any of the above requirements for a given period of time with notice to the MEC Chairman. Should any of the requirements be waived for one pilot, they will be waived uniformly for all pilots during such period of time.

Thanks for this.

Obviously date of hire plays a role, I understand that seniority and time with the company does and should play a role. But I'm basically at these hours now, just don't have 500 hours with the company . Would it really be a several year wait, or could the upgrade feasibly happen rather quickly(Assuming no furloughs, company stays in business, world doesn't end, etc...)

Last edited:
Thanks for this.

Obviously date of hire plays a role, I understand that seniority and time with the company does and should play a role. But I'm basically at these hours now, just don't have 500 hours with the company . Would it really be a several year wait, or could the upgrade feasibly happen rather quickly(Assuming no furloughs, company stays in business, world doesn't end, etc...)

Without the seniority you will never be a captain. It just depends on how much movement there is.

Here's a simple way of putting it - If you are hired into a company with 3000 pilots, and there are 1500 Captains, 1500 First officers. You have to get to the seniority of the most Jr captain (1500) to upgrade. Until then, none of the other requirements matter. For every captain that moves on to another company or retires that is one seniority spot open for upgrade.

You'll be in for a long wait. Even with the hiring boom coming. I'd guess best case is 3yrs worst is 7-8yrs.

3 years? that's about 2 years longer than I'd like it to be :)

You and everyone else. Lots of people getting by on FO pay and getting no TPIC to pass go.

The other issue is: how long will you be on reserve?? Long upgrade times suck, but not nearly as much as being stuck as an FO on reserve. We have had a considerable amount of attrition from the bottom of the list because of this. I cant blame them, I dont know if I would have hung on if I had to do it for several years

If you dont like those odds, you could try one of the outfits that is having quick upgrades. Just remember that past performance is no guarantee of future results. It wasnt that long ago that PCL, Mesaba and Colgan were hiring street captains...

For planning purposes, on the CRJ side, first chance to upgrade has been pretty consistently around the time you get below 1000 on the seniority list. Whatever your number would be, just drop the one - thats about how many people need to move on. Newhires are coming in with 17XX numbers.

Ok, I stand corrected. Just on the ERJ side. There was only the requirement that you had an ATP written and 23 years old by the time you were in upgrade class.

And you have claimed to know the ASA CBA. Are you as short as McPickle?

Latest resources

Back