• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Updated SWA New Hire info.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks 328. Great info! I have what will probably sound like a dumb question to you civilian guys, but do I need a current First Class physical when I show up for training? My will convert to a Second Class this month.

Just made a phone call on your behalf....need to have a valid First Class medical on the first day of class. After that, it can lapse into a 2nd class.

You're gonna LUV it here.

Tejas

Just made a phone call on your behalf....need to have a valid First Class medical on the first day of class. After that, it can lapse into a 2nd class.

You're gonna LUV it here.

Tejas

Thanks for taking the time to call Tejas! I can't wait to get started. Hopefully I will be in the 25 Apr class.

Jim

The only thing I will say to a new hire is watch out for the Wild Turkey at the new hire party. There is at least 1 guy who now has a baby on the way due to the party...yea me, and another that will find out soon.
Great! Now I'm scared to go to the party

I have what will probably sound like a dumb question to you civilian guys, but do I need a current First Class physical when I show up for training? My will convert to a Second Class this month.

Thanks,
Jim

Not to beat this horse again but here it goes..............

The Class of medical is determined by the ability to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held. I have a First Class Medical, which is required by all Southwest pilots, and as an F/O it is good for one year. The Class of medical does not change, ie: after 6 months it does not magically change into a second class, but rather the class required for the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held is what matters. I still have passed the medical certification required by Sec. 67.113 of the FAR's, and it is still a First Class Medical.

$$$

New hires be prepared to write a few checks the first week of training as well. Expenses that I was not aware of:

Uniform $225
Leather Jacket (optional) $385
Flashlight ???
Cockpit companion (optional) $45
Party for next class $40
Donation to present to Colleen $37 (usually to Ronald McDonald House)
molded ear piece for headset (optional) $85

I bought a leather Jacket so I had just over $800 in expenses the first few weeks. Of course it can be well under $400 if you choose not to purchase the optional equipment.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

I thought you could payroll deduct the leather jacket and uniform, so it would come out over the first year, 20 bucks a paycheck or something.

Latest resources

Back