• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unusual airline call signs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few months ago out of BOH or SOU I heard the call sign "Black Adder". That was funny! (For those that remember the sitcom with Rowan Atkinson).

The other one that's cool is "U-Haul" out of SKF (C-17). Not sure if it is just a local callsign.

How about Continental's "Air Mike" call sign for all Continental flights West of HNL. Always confuses me when I'm working the 8 day. Day 1from IAH-HNL I'm "Continental 1". Day two, HNL-GUM we are "Air Mike 1". Same aircraft. Have to write it out on scratch pad. The senior guys don't have to do this...... All 737 GUM based aircraft are "AIR MIKE"....

Okay, how about the old CC AIR "Carolina"

How about Continental's "Air Mike" call sign for all Continental flights West of HNL. Always confuses me when I'm working the 8 day. Day 1from IAH-HNL I'm "Continental 1". Day two, HNL-GUM we are "Air Mike 1". Same aircraft. Have to write it out on scratch pad. The senior guys don't have to do this...... All 737 GUM based aircraft are "AIR MIKE"....

Okay, how about the old CC AIR "Carolina"

Sasquatch
I believe it's a cargo company based in the Pac NW.
Roketer-Now defunct Air 21 based in Fresno?

Fine Air outta MIA was called "Big F"...They were bought out by Arrow Air whose call sign was "Big A".

I always thought the new call sign should be "Big F***in A".

On a serious note, the should be some type of "Truth in company name" law or legislation. Don't be calling yourself "Fine Air" or "Rich Air" when you are anything but.

Here's some from the Air Force:

Turbo - McConnell KC-135
Lifter - Charleston C-17
Backy (as in tobaccy) - Seymour Johnson, NC KC-135s
Gasser - KC-135
Opec - KC-10s
and one of the greatest of all time - "Scare" for T-37 students when solo.

Some units I had the pleasure to fly with had callsigns of:
SIDEWINDER, CAVEMAN, COYOTE, NINJA, and BARON (for RED BARON)

Hey, why did the brain trusts of REPUBLIC change Shuttle America's callsign from "SHUTTLECRAFT" (a Star Trek reference) to MERCURY?

Latest resources

Back