To serve your turn long after they are gone;
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings-nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

- Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

Kit

FurloughedAgain said:
Kit Darby is still a Captain at United.
That's rich.

I find it very curious that Kit is devoid of original advice for displaced pilots seeking work - yet he still believes there is a pilot shortage.

Kit Darby

I think the worst possible personal "he!!" I could think of would be to be a soon-to-be-furloughed United First Officer...show up for work... check the computer and see that I'm flying with Captain Darby.

It would be a 4-day sales presentation on the many and varied Darby products which would inevitably yield a job at one of the "hundreds of airlines hiring today".

"Why Mike if you buy this AirInc baseball cap you will be endowed with secret powerws of persuasion which would certainly help you through that challenging interview at Podunk air".

Wow. He give the Iraqi information minister a run for his money in "funniest man of the year"

Guys! Kit's the man! Much like a second marriage, Kit represents the triumph of hope over experience.

I doubt Kit thinks there is a pilot shortage...what there is a shortage of is $$$ in the "Kit Darby Retirement Fund (tm)."

Only way to rectify that is a little salesmanship...

Kit for a month

FurloughedAgain said:
I think the worst possible personal "he!!" I could think of would be to be a soon-to-be-furloughed United First Officer...show up for work... check the computer and see that I'm flying with Captain Darby.

It would be a 4-day sales presentation on the many and varied Darby products which would inevitably yield a job at one of the "hundreds of airlines hiring today".

"Why Mike if you buy this AirInc baseball cap you will be endowed with secret powerws of persuasion which would certainly help you through that challenging interview at Podunk air".

Wow. He give the Iraqi information minister a run for his money in "funniest man of the year"
Very funny post, actually.

You may find it ironic that in the March 17, 2003 issue of Commuter/Regional Airline News, a 3 page interview with Kit Darby is published. Kit is quoted as saying "I've never really adhered to the idea of a pilot shortage." He also predicts 6000 - 7000 pilot job openings this year.

Swear to God.

"Your job as a(n) [F/O; VP; Asst. Manager;] is to make your [Captain; President; Manager] look good."

"Do what ever you love to do the absolute best that you can and the money will come."

I don't care what you do for a living, the above tenents apply to a successful career in any endeavor that involves other people -- and that is just about all of 'em -- including flying. Think about it...if you had a F/O whose priority was making you look good, wouldn't you honestly be more willing to be there if they needed you?

If all the "next generation" of pilots truly love what they do (as it sounds like they do), then the money will come. It may not even come from where you would expect, but someone will pay for your enthusiasm/experience at some time. Even by writing a book on how to cope with furlough/layoff, etc.

Last edited:
Flyin' South said:
You may find it ironic that in the March 17, 2003 issue of Commuter/Regional Airline News, a 3 page interview with Kit Darby is published. Kit is quoted as saying "I've never really adhered to the idea of a pilot shortage." He also predicts 6000 - 7000 pilot job openings this year.

Swear to God.

<Sigh>

Any lawyers out there?

Flyin' South said:

Doesn't that border on fraud? Snake oil, anyone?TC

Re: Kit Darby

FurloughedAgain said:
"Why Mike if you buy this AirInc baseball cap you will be endowed with secret powerws of persuasion which would certainly help you through that challenging interview at Podunk Air."
Now that Podunk is flying CRJ-700's coast-to-coast, that might not be such a bad deal!

(Where can I get one of those caps?)

Latest resources

Back