• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unrealistic Expectations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, can't believe I missed this the first time around. What a great thread.

I guess I'm one of the "old guys" in this thread, but I can certainly remember being one of the pups; in fact I still bring it up when I'm in my whining mode.

My story: I was supposed to be a captain at AA by now. That was the plan starting at 12 and enduring through about my 3rd year as an Eagle FO. Then I realized things don't always go as planned. I had it pretty easy actually, got my CFI in college, did less than 500 hours instructing, then moved on to banner and glider towing while trying to break into "real" flying with about 1200 hours. Managed to ride along a little with cargo guys and eek out a contract King Air job just weeks before being hired as a "Mighty Beech" 1900 FO in '92. Did that for 2.5 years w/ no upgrade in sight so I jumped to Eagle so I could go back to DFW and position myself for AA. Four years into that gig I finally got an upgrade and man was I lovin' it. Then USAirways called, who I wasn't even sure I wanted to fly for. Got greedy and decided I couldn't pass it up, what with the uncertainty of the flow-thru at Eagle (at least I got something right!). Enjoyed the Boeing. Then came Oct '01 when I left a couple of months early to fly a Navajo doing medevac. Thought I had to sacrifice everything to stay flying, so I sold the house, moved the wife and young kids and moved to Be-ver-ly (AZ actually). The living situation was no good for us, but you know - I really enjoyed the single pilot, quick call flying. That was actually new to me although a little out of sequence in my mind. Then by some miracle a start up in my hometown was hiring, and I'm now hanging on by a thread here flying right seat in my DoJet.

What's my point? No really, what's my point? Sorry. Through it all I've had the same feelings as a lot of you. I was the wet kid with big dreams and entitlements. At Eagle, I would stare out the window when the bitter Captains would complain that they could get a 45k job tomorrow not flying (good luck, you've lost touch - and why in the world would you want to?). Then I was the happy Captain briefly before hitting the Bigs. Now I'm starting over, but with a different perspective and added responsibilities. I get frustrated because I have very little turbine PIC, but over 10 years in the industry. I get frustrated because my savings are being depleted while I avoid a second job because a) it cuts into unemployment pay and interview availability and/or b) new aiplanes are a done deal and upgrade is mere weeks away. But the thing is: I just can't see doing anything else. I smile a little every time I take a second to reflect during climb out. I may be hitting the street again soon, and I continually try to envision a life outside the cockpit, but it just never seems like a genuine option to me.

Some of us have (alot) better timing than others. All of us will complain at times, but when it comes down to it, are you able to do what you love for a living? If so, take a deep breath and give thanks, 'cause not too many people can truly say that. Right seat, left seat, even sideways I suppose. You're living a dream.

Blue skies to all. Or grey if you need the instrument time.

Last edited:
Timing?

I probably have the worst timing of all.

I waited until my ship left the harbor, and got halfway across the ocean and then decided to swim after it to catch up!

It's great to have a flying job, though. I'll never run out of soap or shampoo!! :D

Right now the ship is adrift on the sea and coming your way. About the time the steam engines get repaired(parts are hard to find) you'll be caught up to it and able to get onboard.

Timing

Timebuilder said:
I probably have the worst timing of all.
But not as bad as mine.

I have little doubt that I would have landed that right seat in the mighty Beech 1900 had I landed my first job a year sooner. To give an idea of those times to those of you who weren't around, during 1987-'89 there was hiring similar to that of 1995-'00. Then it ground to a halt and did not really pick up until 1995. In other words, about 3½-4 years of bad times.

Of course, my father said when I decided to go into flying that I should have started ten years earlier. Why didn't he speak up when I was still ripping and reading wire news copy from the AP and UPI machines and getting the occasional new interview by phone (I got better radio news jobs after that.)?

Oh, well . . . . .

Last edited:
FurloughedAgain:

Cool post!! hope to fly with you some day. It's good to see someone who "gets it".

Rip and Read!!!!

If I had come to my senses around the time that I FIRST started reading news on the radio, I might have missed out on the purple fingers from changing the ribbon in the wire machine and I'd be a high time captain at Delta by now! :eek:

Great thread to read!

Bobbysam and Timebuilder, I love reading your guys posts but I always hate when you guys bring up your regrets about not starting sooner. The important thing is not that you started flying late but that you started flying at all! It seems both of you had good jobs that you enjoyed doing BEFORE you went into aviation. I find myself in this same situation. I really do enjoy my job in nuclear power. But I also love flying. And I know I would regret it if I didn’t give the flying career a shot. And even if the flying career doesnt pan out I will consider myself blessed that I will be one of those people that can boast about having two (or more) careers when I’m 80.

My dad always told me life is made up of experiences. And I think that by having more than just one career a person really gathers lots of experiences (both good and bad)!

Good luck to both of you.

Ryan said:
Bobbysam and Timebuilder, I love reading your guys posts but I always hate when you guys bring up your regrets about not starting sooner. The important thing is not that you started flying late but that you started flying at all!
You're right. At least I did start flying and had the courage to take a chance on the career.

I always write that I wish I had started sooner for the benefit of the relatively younger folks who are on the fence about trying the career. He who hesitates is lost. Make the decision, but don't approach it half-heartedly. If flying doesn't work out, at least you'll be young enough to start another career.

Bingo.

Pink Floyd: "..no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun...."

So, young people. Ready, set,.......

Guilty as charged.
I don't have the stories of riding my bike everyday to the grass airport to watch the line guys pump gas into a C-152 and dream of one day having their job. But now that I'm here, I do enjoy it very much, and it takes good threads like this to keep my perspective in check from the fantasies spouted by Air Inc, Riddle, ATP, and any other operation that pads their services with talk of "future pilot shortages."

I agree that this job beats working for a living. As aewannabe said, I can't believe someone is paying me to fly this airplane around and all I have to do is occaisionally take some checks with me. I hope that these cyclical downtimes weed out the grouchy bridge FO's that feel they should have been at American by now. I'm looking forward to the cylical upswing and hope I'm near the right place at the right time.

Latest resources

Back