Unofficial SWA Hiring Mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LeonPhelps

Anyone out there "in the know" regarding Southwest unofficial hiring mins? I heard from a friend who flies there that they have an unposted min of 1700 PIC in order to even get the interview. Just don't want to spend some $$ on a type rating if a couple hundred short...

Thanks!

Incoming!!!!

1700 PIC turbine is what they told me - of course it was AFTER I just paid for my type rating. Also, you'd better be military - it's turned into a big military club now. Out of the 15 guys in my type class, half were military. Every one of the military guys got an interview - not 1 civilian got an interview. I guess 1,400 121 pic turbine and several years at a major airline don't mean much these days. Oh well, live goes on.

TV9Driver,

a. You didn't mention how many hours the military guys had PIC wise. Military flight commitments (at least for the USAF) have gone up from 6 years when I was in to about 9. So guys will have more PIC than before.
b. With all this war going on and other troubles for the past decade, the military guys fly more than ever, including the fighter jocks, so they are more competitive than before.
c. Not flame bait, but its hard flying downtown Iraq with AAA coming at you and converting that to 121 time. NOBODY in the military gets 121 time so your comment that you are the cat's meow because of 1400PIC 121 time and major carrier doesn't hold much water.
d. Just because half of your type class was military and they all got interviews is simple statistics and coincidence. Could be the pool has a boatload of civies with types already, so your comparison doesn't mean much. The hiring numbers show lots of civilians.

Good luck, but get a better attitude. If it makes you feel better, the military is a lot smaller than it used to be, so there will be fewer of us filling the ranks of the majors over the next decade and beyond.

TV9...whoa. The HR Dept must not have had that "military only" memo when I interviewed there a short while back. 2 out of 12 were hired from my group: 1 civ and 1 mil. I had my type, well over the PIC requirement, lots of good recs, blah, blah, blah and still got the .37 cent kick in the jimmies.
....what kelbill said.

kelbill said:
TV9Driver,

a. You didn't mention how many hours the military guys had PIC wise. Military flight commitments (at least for the USAF) have gone up from 6 years when I was in to about 9. So guys will have more PIC than before.
b. With all this war going on and other troubles for the past decade, the military guys fly more than ever, including the fighter jocks, so they are more competitive than before.
c. Not flame bait, but its hard flying downtown Iraq with AAA coming at you and converting that to 121 time. NOBODY in the military gets 121 time so your comment that you are the cat's meow because of 1400PIC 121 time and major carrier doesn't hold much water.
d. Just because half of your type class was military and they all got interviews is simple statistics and coincidence. Could be the pool has a boatload of civies with types already, so your comparison doesn't mean much. The hiring numbers show lots of civilians.

Good luck, but get a better attitude. If it makes you feel better, the military is a lot smaller than it used to be, so there will be fewer of us filling the ranks of the majors over the next decade and beyond.

I have no problem with military guys but I dont understand how PIC single pilot going 2.0 blowing up stuff is more qualified than 121 pic?

Kelbill
When SWA starts going downtown Bagdad with a few MK83's slung under the wing let me know. I know military make good airline pilots, I also know civ's do as well. Its what I do now. Into the same airports, operating under the same 121 rules, etc.

Funny, looking at your profile, have you gone downtown in the 141 or the King Aire? The 141 took me to plenty of places as a Marine grunt, but it usually took an additional C130 or helo ride to get me to where the action was.

Good Grief you knuckleheads, get a grip.

1. I never said "I" went downtown Iraq bombing the hell out of anyone. What I said and/or implied was that THE MILITARY DON'T FLY NO 121 OPS, SO IF YOU EXPECT THAT ON MILITARY RESUMES YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

2. That also goes for the statement implying I thought dropping bombs being better or as good as flying 121. According to your implication, NO MILITARY PILOT should ever fly at SWA unless going through another 121 op first. WE DON'T FLY 121 IN THE MILITARY, BUT WE DO FLY LOTS OF PLACES, UPSIDE DOWN, IN FORMATION, LOW LEVEL, AND YOU KNOW WHAT, TAXI AND APPROACH ISSUES AT THE LANDING FIELD ARE THE LEAST OF OUR CONCERNS. I'VE BEEN TO LAX A HUNDRED TIMES OR MORE NOW. I'M BETTER THAN A NEW GUY GOING THERE, BUT NOT 100 TIMES BETTER.

3. Did I bad mouth civilians even remotely? No, but here you guys come after me and my homies.

4. My Marine friend, thanks for serving, but you must have flown choppers or rented planes at the aero club to get where you are. Good for you, it shows determination. I did drop off some of you guys in Mogadishu, Somalia, so when American Eagle or Comair do that, let me know. When you fly approaches wearing a chem mask, let me know. When you fly cross cockpit in a '50s era T37, in the WX, taking off with min fuel to begin with, let me know. We all have our challenges don't we?

Damn, fellas, I hope everyone who is a good dude gets hired, but listening to the whining here, I think the DB is doing a good job. Hang in there, build your time, and quit pissing people off, even anonymously.

Easy guys,

I guess I can understand all the hostility going around, but, Let's not do this "Civ. versus Mil." thing any more. We all know pros and cons of both backgrounds. I personally have 3 types and 1800 pic 121 (and waiting since 08-04.)

With approx. 10,000 apps on file, SWA has the luxury of picking who they want to interview, and from what I understand, only 1 or 2 out of 5 are getting hired. My take is ...bottom line...even if you get the interview (CIV or MIL).... THEY HAVE TO LIKE YOU. If you don't give a good impression, you probably will not get the offer. My two cents....fire away.

Latest resources

Back