Unofficial SWA app survey?....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stb

Wondering if the flight info posters would be interested in some type of gauge for others that applied to Southwest.

Something like:

2 points for each 1000 hours PIC in Jet aircraft
1.5 for each 1000 hours PIC in Turbo prop aircraft
1 for each 1000 hours SIC in Jet aircraft
.5 for each 1000 hours SIC in Turbo prop aircaft

Multiply military flight time by 2.

8 points for 737 type.

Each applicant has a 4 year degree, positive attitude, 5 letters of recommendation and no license violations.

This can give us some type of starting point. For the should I get the 73 type now or wait etc.

Again this is an unofficial poll. I have no insight on the SWA point system.

I'm at 16.5, 73 type, no military

Last edited:
8 point for a 737 type? Two points for 1,000 hours of Jet PIC. IMHO it's the other way around. Anyone with a month and $10,000 can get a type. 1,000 hours of Jet Pic will take you a whole lot longer to aquire.

They were pretty clear that it was not going to count that much this time around. From what I understood. they were hiring based upon credentials, then it was up to the candidate to show up to class with the type. Number of type ratings, AS, BS, MBA, total time, 121/135 experience, internal LOR's ect. are probably going to count just as much if not more. They fully expect that those offered positions predicated upon completing a 737 type are not going to complain one bit if they have to go out and get a type. I seriously doubt that anyone will turn SWA down because they have to get a 737 type.

"Sorry, I can't except your offer because I don't want to spend the money on a 737 type"

This is probably something that they don't expect to hear all that often. This will allow them to hire a completly different type of candidate this time around. They would not have eased up on the requirement if they felt it was as important

Not that getting the type is a bad thing, you will need it anyway. IMHO, it's just not something that will push you over the edge.

Last edited:
"This will allow them to hire a completly different type of candidate this time around. "

I don't think that is something SWA is trying to do! I think it is the opposite of that, they want to make sure they get the same type of people they have been hiring for the past 30+ years.

I have heard that the type is big on the points. It shows the motivation and desire to want to work at SWA.

Then in this economic climate with so many airline pilots out on the street, why did America's premier carrier remove the requirement?

They could have had people standing in line to get types.

Last edited:
Looking at the questions...

on the app, they only question about the 73 type rating. Not how many do you have.

The 73 type requirement change could be for furloughed pilots that have 1000's of hours in the 73 but no type. USAirways, Vanguard and United.

Folks this comes from the people in pilot recruitment.

Dropping the type simply gives us a larger pool to choose from.

Pretty simple huh.

SWAdude:cool:

Interesting point system

The PD said that while they have a "scoring system", it is not a "computer" system. The human is always in the loop. Given the fact that the pool is draining by May, interviews are starting by March and the delay between interview date, background check and review board, it seems logical that at least the first couple of months you will see only people that are already typed since the minimum number of "typed" pilots in the pool is about 60.Therefore, initially the "value" of your type is probably much higher. As they build up the pool, they will be able to bring non-typed pilots. Only my guess. I think that Who gets called for interviews will not be necessarily obvious once interviews resume. SWA will pick and choose subjectively from all candidates. Putting a point number scheme on hours and type is probably only a part the picture they get from you. Good luck to everyone. My score?11.3

Latest resources

Back