Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Plug said:
ASA Aviator,

You seem to contradict yourself. You say you won't vote Yes but then say that if things get worse that you'll leave. What do you think a strike is? Stck up for yourself and be consistent. Either your in or your not. If your not, so be it, however, most of us are willing to put our asses on the line for ya.

JB,

Grow up! How those minutes coming along?

Well, I am anti-union. In my previous career I was in management, and I've been threatened, bullied, and attacked by unions. I only am a part of the union because I am forced to pay dues, and if I have to pay dues, I'm darn sure going to have a vote.

Anyway, yes, you are right, leaving is similar to striking, but I will do so on my terms, and not because I am trying to send a message to anyone, but rather because I don't want to be here anymore. I signed on to this job knowing what the conditions of the contract were, and it would be hypocritical of me to strike or quit when I came in knowing what it would be like.

The Pup is in with a YES. When do I get the real ballot?

ps. ASA Aviator sounds a lot like "avoiceof reason", which sounds a lot like management. Step away from the computer Scott!!!!

Hey Plug,

Which mgmt puke do you think is ASA_Avatior? I don't think its JB.

701EV

By the way, I am willing to hang my job on the line in defense of anyone. Being anti-union is not the same as being against my colleagues. Unions just tend to have a thug mentality, and an anti-intellectual attitude, and I find it to be very distasteful. If I wanted to be a thug, I would move to East Point...

ASA_Aviator said:
By the way, I am willing to hang my job on the line in defense of anyone. Being anti-union is not the same as being against my colleagues. Unions just tend to have a thug mentality, and an anti-intellectual attitude, and I find it to be very distasteful. If I wanted to be a thug, I would move to East Point...

I agree that the word "union" in this country often connotes images of the thug mentality that you refer to. But I also believe that your union is what you make it. A union is simply that, a bunch of workers getting together in a "union" to work together for some mutual cause. The union guys in East Point or wherever you talk about have that mentality in their daily lives, and it shows in how they conduct themselves in their union. Pilots, on the other hand, tend to be much more intellectual, and for the most part, I am proud of the way our local MEC leadership (with one or two exceptions) have shown themselves to be intellectually superior and more intellectually honest than management in almost every interaction. I don't think pilots will ever change the image of unions, but we can still be proud of the way we conduct ourselves.

Another Yes.... There's no chance I'll do this job for a dime less.... Already looking into non-aviation options; so far, to leave would mean weekends off & a pay raise in 6 months.

JustaNumber said:
I agree that the word "union" in this country often connotes images of the thug mentality that you refer to. But I also believe that your union is what you make it. A union is simply that, a bunch of workers getting together in a "union" to work together for some mutual cause. The union guys in East Point or wherever you talk about have that mentality in their daily lives, and it shows in how they conduct themselves in their union. Pilots, on the other hand, tend to be much more intellectual, and for the most part, I am proud of the way our local MEC leadership (with one or two exceptions) have shown themselves to be intellectually superior and more intellectually honest than management in almost every interaction. I don't think pilots will ever change the image of unions, but we can still be proud of the way we conduct ourselves.

I hope you are right. My opinion is somewhat skewed, I admit. Once, I came across a pilot scab list, and at the top was the following paragraph, and it certainly reeks of the typical union mentality... I've attached it below. When people quit spouting rhetoric like this, I'll be happy about being in the union.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, He had some awful substance left with which He made a SCAB. A SCAB is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water-logged brain, and a combination backbone made of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a SCAB comes down the street, men turn their back and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out. No man has a right to SCAB as long as there is a pool of water deep enough to drown his body in, or a rope long enough to hang his carcass with. Judas Iscariot was a gentleman compared with a SCAB. For betraying his Master, he had character enough to hang himself. A SCAB HASN’T!"[/FONT]

Confirmative (Yes).

Latest resources

Back