United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
How the hell does ACARS ruin your on-time arrival times? After all the DOT measures on-time within :14 minutes. If your airline can't get to the gate within :14 of scheduled arrival at least 7 out of 10 times, then maybe you need to focus on why the hell not. ACARS won't do crap to SWA's ontime DOT stats. I can't believe people post things like this. Are these people really flying for an Airline?:rolleyes:

Ah yes, good luck to you guys if you think you'll pull 7 out of 10 consistently month to month in PHL, especially with old man winter coming. It ain't like landing in HRL with a 10 knot tailwind so you can turn off right to the gate.

;)

SWA

I didn't know SWA was such a Superman Airline. I think the F/O is a little brash and may have to grow up one day.

Re: SWA

f9driver said:
I didn't know SWA was such a Superman Airline

Perhaps you're getting Skyhiemers Disease.:confused:

FDJ2 said:
The latest economic indicators show over 7% GDP growth and 11.1% business spending growth. How does that fugure into your economic analysis?

:D [/B]

That GDP growth your talking about is fueled by the recent tax break (about 4%) and by home refinancing. This economy is not self sustaining at this time. In order for this recovery to continue, employeers must create additional jobs. Business leaders are the ones who are cautious at this time.

Consumer confidence is the wild card. If confidence falters, the economy could easily fall back down.

PHL will be no problem for SWA because they wont schedule flights trying to leave when us pushes theirs all at the same time. Then when US falters for good(which I hope they dont ) SWA can leave anytime they want to. Do ya think they dont know how to deal with big airports and the delays that come with them. DEN was Herbs way of saying to the city council, screw you, just like he did when ELP decided to raise their fees ,SWA pulled out over 30% of the flights and have yet to return. I think also 15 billion will last a little bit longer than 200-300 million US has. Change is coming , accept it.

SWA F/O's

It looks like we have a pair of SWA F'O's on here that have good old Boeing Engineering mixed up with what they think is their talent....."We are ready for T/O after we start" etc. We at Pan Am invented the shuttle and quick turnarounds in the IGS or Internal German Service that Pan Am operated for forty yrs. after the war out of Berlin and Frankfurt...first with DC-6's and later with B-727's. A lot of us who had been based there felt a little cocky but most were cool enough not to brag about it. lol
I also remember old PSA at LAX Terminal one across from us pushing back without a clearance and blocking us while we tried to push and crank four big slow starting JT9's for TYO. I don't think any Superman SW F/O could have been ready for take-off right after start in that 1960's designed Boeing pig. lol

United loses $367 million in 3rd quarte

Associated Press
Published October 30, 2003, 12:31 PM CST

United Airlines' parent company racked up a $367 million net loss in the third quarter -- its 13th straight deficit -- but claimed an operating profit for the first time in more than three years.

A busy summer travel season across the airline industry boosted passenger revenue and helped UAL Corp. post a $90 million operating profit for the July-September period. CEO Glenn Tilton also cited continued cost reductions and other improving financial results which kept its nearly year-old bankruptcy restructuring on track.

The net loss reported Thursday amounted to $3.47 a share, compared with a loss a year earlier of $889 million, or $15.57 a share.

Excluding $330 million in special charges and reorganization expenses, the loss was $37 million, or 36 cents a share.

The consensus of analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call was for a loss of $1.52 a share, although only a few brokerages still cover the company closely since it filed for bankruptcy and its stock was delisted from the New York Stock Exchange.

Revenues rose 2 percent to $3.82 billion from $3.74 billion, thanks to a 12 percent jump in revenue from passengers.

United filed for Chapter 11 last December after 2 1/2 years of worsening losses. Tilton told reporters Wednesday that the company remains on plan to come out of bankruptcy in the late spring of 2004.

"We are making tremendous progress in reducing costs, improving revenue and building a strong, sustainable business for the future," he said Thursday.

The company said it was the first time it had managed an operating profit, excluding certain charges, since the second quarter of 2000.

For the first nine months of 2003, the net loss was $2.33 billion, or $23.28 per share, compared with a loss of $1.74 billion, or $30.96 per share, for the same period a year earlier.

Revenues fell 7 percent to $10.11 billion from $10.82 billion.

UAL shares were unchanged at $1.06 in over-the-counter trading. The shares are expected to be worthless when the company emerges from bankruptcy.

* __

On the Net:

www.united.com
Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

While Southwest dropped to sixth place from first in on-time performance in 2002, the carrier improved in percentage terms. In 2002, 82.6 percent of Southwest flights arrived on time, up from 81.7 percent in 2001.

Sixth place...might want to taxi a bit faster. In Philly we measure delays in hours, not minutes.

Re: SWA F/O's

f9driver said:
We at Pan Am invented the shuttle and quick turnarounds in the IGS or Internal German Service that Pan Am operated for forty yrs. after the war out of Berlin and Frankfurt...first with DC-6's and later with B-727's. A lot of us who had been based there felt a little cocky but most were cool enough not to brag about it. lol

Did you know Otto Kiel?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back