• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United will fly into Aspen with SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure the 700 is very impressive in many ways. Nobody's arguing that it can't really perform with the best of them. The problem is that it's too high performance, and there are doubts about whether its slick wing will let it circle slowly enough to safely accomplish the balked landing procedure.

propjockey said:
I'm surprised at the number of people on this board who, even in the face of a published press release, continue to say "it can't be done" with regard to the 700 flying in and out of Aspen. It obviously can, and WILL be done.

Do you people think that SkyWest is venturing into this without studying the issue and conducting flight trials? I personally flew the two flight test guys out to DEN on the morning of their first flight trials into Aspen with the 700.

Those of you who doubt the capabilities of the 700, I'd venture to say, have never flown it. I don't know what, if any, weight restrictions the 700 will face in and out of there -- it will be interesting to see. But for the love of Pete, please stop saying "it can't be done."

Yeah, it'll be able to do Aspen 99% of the time without a problem. It is the other 1% of the time that has everyone worried.

WSurf said:
I am sure it can and will be done! The 700 is a pretty impressive machine!

It flew into Aspen today. SkyWest flight 1000, landed at 1034am, it was a 27 minute flight from DEN.

Look at Flightaware.com, put in SKW1000 in upper left corner, and you will see the flight, route, etc. If you put in KASE in upper right corner, you can see all arrivals and departures. If you click on the flight numbers of any corporate plane, you can see who owns it too. You can do that for any airport.

I wonder if Mookie flew this flight? It probably was full of SkyWest executives cashing in on their huge bonuses in Aspen, baby! You can do that when you have one pay rate up to 99 seats......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Raise your hand if when you first saw this thread and you clicked on it, that you had a feeling the General was gonna chime in with his .02 cents on this thread somewhere down the line.

Ok, you can all put your hands down now.

Ignore General! The dude must be the biggest nerd trolling the Regional section of a website!! Get a life!! You spend more time worrying about others!! You need to be worrying more about your pension at this point!!!

Do you people think that SkyWest is venturing into this without studying the issue and conducting flight trials?

Northwest announced direct MSP-HLN service awhile back without doing any of the performance engineering necessary. After a bunch of press releases, an advertising campaign, selling loads of seats, and a fancy little ceremony at the HLN airport they discovered that Pinnacle would need flaps 8 in their CRJ's to be able to take enough people to make it worth while. Northwest then canceled the service for about 10 months while they reevaluated their decision to order all CRJ's with only flaps 20.

Aspen-no problem

SkyWest flights will be United's fancier regional "explus" jet service on 66-seat Canadair RJ-700 regional jets that have economy, economy plus and first-class sections.

Is this a 700? What is the exact configuration? Possibly a 705 or 900? A 700 with 900 non derated engines would surely be more than enough to get in and out of there.

The problem is that it's too high performance, and there are doubts about whether its slick wing will let it circle slowly enough to safely accomplish the balked landing procedure.

Don't forget the 700 has slats. The approach speed is slow enough to get in there.

DrProc said:
Yeah, it'll be able to do Aspen 99% of the time without a problem. It is the other 1% of the time that has everyone worried.

What is going to happen the other 1% of the time?

The airplane can get slowed down to 160 KIAS no problem on the approach and thats really all it is going to take.

We take E-145s into Oaxaca, Mexico all the time and the approaches and missed approach procedures there are much more difficult than ASE and they are done with no problems. The 700 also performs better than the 200 for all of those who think it's "too much airplane" for the airport.

Yea, I DH'ed on a flight that had 70 Peps on board! I was really surprised with its performance. This thing is a totally different beast then the CRJ-200. Now one thing I dont know is the Single Engine Climb rate. But landing and taking off there should be no problem.
I think some feathers are being ruffled thats all.

Latest resources

Back