• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United to review new pilot applications starting next week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If UNICAL management was smart, they'd get off the dime in negotiations, or at least come up with a MOU to improve the first year pay and insurance situation. They way it is, they're not going to get any experienced pilots to apply. It says something when a company is lowering its standards at the beginning of a hiring wave.

They lower the mins initially so they can cherry pick certain people who they want to take. They will not have a shortage. I was at the job fair and there was what-600-700 people there all for 200-300 United positions and under 100 US Airways positions. And that was just the job fair. While there, with almost 6,000 total and almost 2,000 PIC turbine I was told I would not be competitive for the first wave of hiring and maybe I could land a United job in two years. The situation is bleak enough at enough regionals that a lot of very qualified people are looking to move on. Taking crappy pay and QOL on the short term is way better than dealing with a life at the regionals.

Oh and one more thing-ALPA-. I applaud the work on scope. Flying needs to be at the majors. But this getting rid of the regional planes before the "mass" hiring begins is crappy. Oh and another thing-I like how Delta's ALPA just allows their company to take ALPA flown planes to be given to non ALPA regionals. Why am I paying dues again?

11+ years at ASA - 4000 hr. CRJ PIC - 11 letters of rec. from current CPOs, past people I flew with that are now @ CAL & a prior capt who is now FAA, nothing bad at all in my history - had my app in since 2007... What else do I need to do to get into the short stack so I can get a call soon?

Sounds like if anyone gets the call it would be you. Just wait a week and see what happens.

First year pay of $31 or $32 according to WFFF.com. Why does every airline make first year pay seem like a form of hazing????? Plus the added benefit of no health insurance for 6 months here.

Not every airline. DAL starts at $61/hr and full medical from day one.

Nu

If UNICAL management was smart, they'd get off the dime in negotiations, or at least come up with a MOU to improve the first year pay and insurance situation. They way it is, they're not going to get any experienced pilots to apply. It says something when a company is lowering its standards at the beginning of a hiring wave.

First year pay and lack of insurance is a bad thing, yes. But it's not the only pitfall at the new United. I would not advise anyone take the job until the contract is done. L-UAL outnumber L-CAL and that means scope is probably going to get relaxed even more than it is already. It's very unfortunate, but L-UAL is worried about their side shrinking and will probably vote yes on anything so they can move on to SLI and game their longevity. They'll reason that it can be made up on the next contract, but mgt will just roll out another scenario where the L-UAL concessionists feel squeezed, and they'll vote away more again.

First year pay and lack of insurance is a bad thing, yes. But it's not the only pitfall at the new United. I would not advise anyone take the job until the contract is done. L-UAL outnumber L-CAL and that means scope is probably going to get relaxed even more than it is already. It's very unfortunate, but L-UAL is worried about their side shrinking and will probably vote yes on anything so they can move on to SLI and game their longevity. They'll reason that it can be made up on the next contract, but mgt will just roll out another scenario where the L-UAL concessionists feel squeezed, and they'll vote away more again.

In all seriousness, do you believe the things you say or do you just like to stir things up. I have no problem if it's the latter. I believe if you find a bees nest shove a stick up there and stir. For your sake I hope it's not the first. If it is you must have a picture of eeyore on your flight kit.

Latest resources

Back