• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United to review new pilot applications starting next week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They should not have bid it [IAH]!!! It should have been awarded in reverse seniority order. Skywest pilots should have a union and and a contract that states they don't have to do any flying that violates another pilot groups' contract. They don't. They have voted down a union 3 times; That constitutes chronic failure. Additionally, these pilots agreed to fly 70 seat airplanes for 50 seat pay in the face of the United's BK for "growth". You don't have a problem with that?!

You were elevated in the hiring pool at UAL because you were an Eastern striker [solid union pilot]. I think that was good and is the kind of thing that should be continued. If a Skywest pilot wants to be here, and a UAL pilot can vouch for their feeling on working in a union, then great! Let's get them on board. I want to work with pilots who want to toe the line and be reliable union members. What's your problem with that?

Zero issue with your second paragragh. ( I will assume you have no issues with our "non union" military pilots.

My issue is you can't go and assume you know what is in another pilots head as to what his intentions may or may not have been.

I don't know if I have an issue with skywest being non union. If their working conditions and pay are in line with like carriers then my hats off to their management. In contrast I have an issue with carriers like VA who are non union and are NOT in line with the rest of the industry. I would like to see a union there.

They should not have bid it [IAH]!!! It should have been awarded in reverse seniority order. Skywest pilots should have a union and and a contract that states they don't have to do any flying that violates another pilot groups' contract. They don't. They have voted down a union 3 times; That constitutes chronic failure. Additionally, these pilots agreed to fly 70 seat airplanes for 50 seat pay in the face of United's BK for "growth". You don't have a problem with that?!

You were elevated in the hiring pool at UAL because you were an Eastern striker [solid union pilot]. I think that was good and is the kind of thing that should be continued. If a Skywest pilot wants to be here, and a UAL pilot can vouch for their feeling on working in a union, then great! Let's get them on board. I want to work with pilots who want to toe the line and be reliable union members. What's your problem with that?

# of Skywest pilots that have crossed a picket line.....0
Number of Cal cAPTAINS that have..........................25%

Number of Skywest pilots that have Better work rules than CAL 100%

The 70 Seat RJ we know was the camel under the tent and everyone knows the mistake it was, and was agreed to in BK and expanded to the 170 behind the pilots back. Again if the 70 seat RJ violated your scope then what did you do as a sCAL pilot about it other than cry at a Skywest Pilot. At United the guys at least take action and have sued the Company over violations in the TPA numerous times and it was the UAL MEC that went to the the NMB to try to get released and get JP off his ass. At no time time a UAL pilot blame a Skywest pilot when we allowed them to have the flying, our mistake no there's. Your anger focused on the Skywest pilots group needs to be directed and Jeff Smisek and the rest of UAL/CAL management and any pilot just willing to wave there contract and wonder why they dont have a new one.

Chairman: you are not fully informed. sCAL won the scope arbitration. The 70s have been allowed to fly under a flight number change but the strictly CAL flying is not being done by 50+ seat jets. The fact that the flying has become "United" has not absolved the arbitrator's award. If/when we vote down this TA, sCAL ALPA will revisit the issue and defend our contract.

Last edited:
Ok so lets get this clear....First of all every airplane had UAL on the side....And we have had that scope argument and every UAL pilot was behind you with that battle to honor your scope. The company did the end around on the pilot group. You toss around the S word which as a die hard Unionist you know is defined during a work action by your MEC....Did your MEC define it that way? IF so why not? You then want SKYW pilots to refuse such work assignments. Let me ask you this why did all CAL pilots not refuse to turn a wheel if the 70 seaters were flying in there domicile? Seems that tactic would have been much more affective...Dont you? But you would rather ask a regional guy to do it then have the CAL pilots refuse to fly...Why is that?

I don't know if I have an issue with skywest being non union. If their working conditions and pay are in line with like carriers then my hats off to their management. In contrast I have an issue with carriers like VA who are non union and are NOT in line with the rest of the industry. I would like to see a union there.

# of Skywest pilots that have crossed a picket line.....0
Number of Cal cAPTAINS that have..........................25%

Let's be consistent guys. If you're going to have a problem with CAL CAs who crossed a picket line, and VA pilots who fly for a chronically low wage, then you have to have the same suspicions of Skywest.

Read 3: B (1) thru (4)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scab

I've linked a definition to a word for you, but what I'm really interested in is you understanding the behavior described in the definition.

Furthermore, what you have to agree with, is that membership has to have it's benefits. You guys that want to forgive non-union companies dilute what it means to be in one. Here's my feeling: There is them, and there is us. Plain and simple. In my mind's eye, the wants and needs of my fellow union member comes before a non-union worker's.

Last edited:
L-UAL once did a real good job of vetting pilots in the pipeline... Maybe we can adopt that? I'd like to make sure we skip any Skywest pilots who came to Houston to violate my scope.
Does that include those of us who took photos and emailed them to your MEC to document the violations?
Mind you we did this without CBA protection nor Whistleblower protections, because it was the right thing to do.
But by all means keep painting with a broad brush, there are more than a few who hung it all out in the last 4 union drives, and wear the badge of "Union Rabblerouser" proudly.

Does that include those of us who took photos and emailed them to your MEC to document the violations?
Mind you we did this without CBA protection nor Whistleblower protections, because it was the right thing to do.
But by all means keep painting with a broad brush, there are more than a few who hung it all out in the last 4 union drives, and wear the badge of "Union Rabblerouser" proudly.

I am appreciative beyond words for a pilot such as yourself. I emailed my reps and MC and suggested we offer cash awards to Skywest pilots who make the tough call. I was told we don't do that. We should. If you want to work for United, you've got my vote.

Last edited:
I am sure people will get hired from Skywest and any other regional.

We should get back on topic.

Latest resources

Back