United to review new pilot applications starting next week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skyflyin

Immediate need to hire 42 pilots for classes at Legacy Continental as soon as November. Plans on hiring 230 from January to May 2013 dependent on Legacy United furloughed pilots accepting offers.

Offers have been made to the entire L-UAL furloughed list and more than 400 accepted during this year, they currently do not have a sufficient number of volunteers to cover the remaining openings in 2012.

They will begin reviewing applications submitted to www.AirlineApps.com starting next week. Training classes start as early as November 2012.
L-CAL is hiring to support the 2013 summer flying plan.

Preferential consideration for these open positions will be given to pilots who were offered conditional employment at Continental and United in 2008, but never had the opportunity to begin their jobs due to furloughs that year. They will be reaching out to these individuals directly. From there, they will screen other qualified applicants through AirlineApps.com. More details about the process will be provided in the coming weeks.

We expect L-CAL hiring to continue in 2013, and we will fill as many positions as possible with volunteer furloughed L-UAL pilots. Furlough recalls also are planned in the United operation sometime in 2013.

The above is an official announcement given to United employees today. Good luck to everyone who is interested.

Last edited:
I'm guessing very soon. L-CAL's last bid had 411 unfilled vacancies on it through August 1st 2013, so we need people. Heck, we've been short around here forever.

Why can't United pilots come to these positions? Right, there isn't one list yet.

So why aren't all UAL furloughees coming to these positions, considering they are getting their original United payrate at time of furlough?

Most importantly, what happens once there is a joined contract and one list? Will current United pilots be able to bid across to Continental's side, and perhaps displace and maybe even furlough newhire Continental pilots hired now in Dec 2013?

As of now it's still the old contract with terrible first year pay, terrible work rules and no medical insurance for the first 6months.

Why can't United pilots come to these positions? Right, there isn't one list yet.

So why aren't all UAL furloughees coming to these positions, considering they are getting their original United payrate at time of furlough?

Most importantly, what happens once there is a joined contract and one list? Will current United pilots be able to bid across to Continental's side, and perhaps displace and maybe even furlough newhire Continental pilots hired now in Dec 2013?

All new hires will be at the bottom of the combined list. There has to be a spot for the Furloughed pilots to come back to. We have all been offered the job at CAL and many for different reasons have chosen to stay on the sideline and wait for the dust to settle or a United recall.

Chairman

I wonder how many apps are on file on the app website. Let's see, they need 40+ pilots and probably have over 5000+ resumes just sitting there. I remember when NWA hired briefly in 2008? I heard they had that many resumes in a few days. Even if UA hires 400 a year they still have 5000+ resumes.

Good luck all. My problem is that I don't have a buddy at the airline, am not a woman or ethnic, I haven't had a chance to be a check-airman, didn't get to fly fighter planes bc the air force thought a guy with glasses has no piloting skill, and I got passed up for the last shuttle mission. I guess I might have to sit tight until they start looking for the wash outs 10 years from now. Then I can be a life time FO on a narrow body flying shuttle flight between New York and DC all day.

Oh-My-God am I jaded, what has this industry done to me? :eek:

Why can't United pilots come to these positions?
They can. 400 did. They've been offered a position directly once, then had a second chance that ended two weeks ago.

Their UAL seniority is good for pay but not for bidding their monthly schedules. Many may not want to be at the bottom reserve under a bad contract.

Most importantly, what happens once there is a joined contract and one list? Will current United pilots be able to bid across to Continental's side
Yes, when there is one list pilots will be able to bid across, but there are usually fences to protect some positions for perhaps years (UAL 747s or CAL787s for example). OTOH, the already trained sUAL pilots on sCAL equipment may be able to bid their seniority immediately on that plane.

and perhaps displace and maybe even furlough newhire Continental pilots hired now in Dec 2013?
No. The deal right now is that sUAL pilots who twice bypassed can only come back if there are vacancies available to come back to. Then they will come back at their SLI seniority above all off the street new hires. However with retirement and new work rules, movement should be pretty good for years.

Last edited:
This is going to mean hiring at CAL for a long time. The 400 sUAL pilots who accepted employment at sCAL this year will now be offered recalls at sUAL. Everyone that goes back to sUAL will have to be replaced.

"Chairman, UAL MEC System Schedule Committee. The SSC is pleased to be able to finally announce that the company has stated its long overdue intent to begin the recall of our furloughed brothers and sisters to the s-UA operation. Recalls are slated to begin in January 2013. Initial numbers will be between 50 to 125 pilots. Notification letters will be sent 60 to 90 days in advance, in the October to November time frame. As required by the contract and CBA, recalls will be offered in seniority order. As we get closer to the actual recalls notices, we will clearly spell out everyone’s rights under the CBA and/or any other related Letters of Agreements. More specific details will follow so that all information is clearly understood."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back