• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United to review new pilot applications starting next week

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can someone confirm first year pay at Continental, still 29.97/hr? And is it true that STILL there is no medical benefits for the first 6 months?

I wonder how many apps are on file on the app website. Let's see, they need 40+ pilots and probably have over 5000+ resumes just sitting there. I remember when NWA hired briefly in 2008? I heard they had that many resumes in a few days. Even if UA hires 400 a year they still have 5000+ resumes.

Good luck all. My problem is that I don't have a buddy at the airline, am not a woman or ethnic, I haven't had a chance to be a check-airman, didn't get to fly fighter planes bc the air force thought a guy with glasses has no piloting skill, and I got passed up for the last shuttle mission. I guess I might have to sit tight until they start looking for the wash outs 10 years from now. Then I can be a life time FO on a narrow body flying shuttle flight between New York and DC all day.

Oh-My-God am I jaded, what has this industry done to me? :eek:

I don't know how you're going to do it, but somehow you're going to have to figure out how to repress all this resentment when you have the opportunity to talk with your future employers. Relax man, the process is just beginning. You sound like Eeyore.

I wonder how many apps are on file on the app website. Let's see, they need 40+ pilots and probably have over 5000+ resumes just sitting there. I remember when NWA hired briefly in 2008? I heard they had that many resumes in a few days. Even if UA hires 400 a year they still have 5000+ resumes.

Good luck all. My problem is that I don't have a buddy at the airline, am not a woman or ethnic, I haven't had a chance to be a check-airman, didn't get to fly fighter planes bc the air force thought a guy with glasses has no piloting skill, and I got passed up for the last shuttle mission. I guess I might have to sit tight until they start looking for the wash outs 10 years from now. Then I can be a life time FO on a narrow body flying shuttle flight between New York and DC all day.

Oh-My-God am I jaded, what has this industry done to me? :eek:

I hear ya man

70 hour credit while on reserve. even at this rate, I was one of over 600 at a job fair begging for a job

With a baby coming in a couple months, I cannot afford to go without medical insurance for 6 months. Natural birth costs, what if a C-section, or complications, etc etc. There is the option of COBRA, but that would be at a very steep cost.

I can imagine that for quite a few pilots, the no med insurance for 6 months will be a dealbreaker.

I think we are starting to see the tip of the iceberg. A little hiring here and there with retirements to start up in late December. The pool of pilots out of work should start to slowly dry up in 2013 and by 2014 with retirements well under way and more airlines hiring there should finally be some jobs and some movement out there. As long as they don't push the retirement age past 65 things should keep getting better and there should be steady hiring at all the legacy carriers for many years to come. Barring any major economic meltdown it's pretty much all governed by retirements now. It's been a very long drought which is hopefully, finally coming to an end.

Be very careful accepting one of these jobs. I know the general sentiment on this board is anticipating massive retirees but once the pilot lists at UAL/CAL combine there is real possibility of furloughs with overlap. I'm not trying to piss on the parade here but remember what happened to those UAL new hires in early '08. They were let go due to the parking of the 737. What happens if the combined airline decides to park another model? The possibilities are real. If your young, single or divorced - go for it. But if your married with kids, its quite a risk to take and a substantial pay cut for quite a number of years just to fly a bigger airplane at a bigger company.

But if your married with kids, its quite a risk to take and a substantial pay cut for quite a number of years just to fly a bigger airplane at a bigger company.

Yea exactly. Just like college and flight training is a "risk" to put you in a better position later down the road.

Latest resources

Back