United to call back 300 pilots in 2006

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
crashpad said:
This lame arguement is older than the bible.

1. A judge on the take.

2. A pass to pay their outstanding bills at LAX, SFO, DIA and ORD.

3. The privilege of self-looting by senior management.

All of which is ultimately passed on to hardworking consumers.

Shall I continue?

I'd like to know what your opinion is of Continental and America West/USAirways? Delta? NWA? If you're upset about what UAL has done then you're going to be absolutely furious at what may happen over at NWA. Their management is ruthless and will make UAL's look like cupcakes. UAL isn't the first airline to go through a bankruptcy. Not the first company to fork over it's employees. Or the first company or airline to dump pensions. Like you I currently work at a competitor of UAL but if your taking UAL bankruptcy personally you are causing yourself undue stress. This is the airline business. Most major carriers have at this point used BK at one point. Most of them now. What UAL has done may be immoral in your eyes but it's not illegal. The execs over there have done exactly what they have been trained to do. Follow the exact playbook that other airlines have used when going into BK. Looking at it from a view other than an emotional one UAL would be absolute fools to come out of BK sooner than they have too. If you're in BK you may as well maximize the "tool" of BK. That's business. I don't like it either but it's not personal.

D-Bo

i'mbatman said:
Heard from a friend who's dad flies at UAL that they think they will need to go through the entire list to get those 300 back. Any truth to that? What do you guys think?

Your friends dad maybe a little off. Current take rate hovers around 50% BUT of the 50% a good portion of those who are Military with a guard or reserve job are taking the recall and taking Mil leave.

So your number of actual people coming back is around 30%ish.....SAD REALLY, once one of the most coveted jobs reduced to ....well just a job.

So to get 300 they'll have to call around 900 or more since the farther down the list you go, you'll more likely to run into folks who have moved on and established themselves somewhere else. Hope that helps and remember those numbers are MY estimates based on the info I remember from the Company.

Latest resources

Back