United to call back 300 pilots in 2006

Hobiehawker

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Posts
154
Total Time
3000+
This is great news!!


United to call back 300 pilots next year From the Crain's Chicago Business Newsroom October 11 16:29:00, 2005 By Julie Johnsson
-----
United Airlines plans to rehire about 300 laid-off pilots during 2006, the airline told employees Tuesday.
The first group of 20 pilots will rejoin the Elk Grove Township-based carrier Jan. 9, with more to follow as United adjusts its fleet to get the most use of its aircraft and adds flights to current and new destinations.
“That’s great news,” says Steve Derebey, a Boeing 737 captain for United and a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association International, the union representing United’s 6,200 pilots. “The more the better and the sooner the better.”
United furloughed 2,172 pilots after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks sent the U.S. aviation industry into a tailspin. Furloughed pilots receive no pay or benefits from the airline but are eligible to regain their jobs, based on seniority, if United needs to increase staffing.
The nation’s second-largest carrier has brought back 234 pilots in 2005, says Mr. Derebey.
 

WhiteCloud

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Posts
1,012
Total Time
4,000
Kit Darby's predictions are correct! The hiring boom has begun!
 

FlyinPiker

Incon-fricking-spicuous
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Posts
348
Total Time
*_*
Weeeeee!!!..............Hold on!!!!~BARF!!!! (Kit)

On the real though:

Congrads and Good Luck to those that are headed back.
 
Last edited:

poor2thecore

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
141
Total Time
Enough
What will the DOH be for the most junior pilot on property when the 300 are all back?

ps - got a family friend whom I lost touch with. Name is Mike Sperry, he was apart of the last group to get furloughed, anyone know if he'll get the nod?
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Posts
4,872
Total Time
4
Yes, Mike Sperry is surely headed back, everyone on this message board knows him very well!
 

Sir Humpalot

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Posts
142
Total Time
1700
I wonder how many pilots they will call to get 300 on the property. Predictions????
 

logolight

Air Wisconsin
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Posts
236
Total Time
10000
WhiteCloud said:
Kit Darby's predictions are correct! The hiring boom has begun!
Comair, Mesaba, Pinnacle, NWA, AA, and possibly even MESA are furloghing. Delta has over 500 pilots on furlough with no recalls. Usairways has 1900 furloughed and is probably furloughing more as they park more aircraft. United is a long way from hiring off the street. CAL is the only major hiring. I hardly call it a hiring boom.
 

WhiteCloud

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Posts
1,012
Total Time
4,000
Pulling your chain!

logolight said:
Comair, Mesaba, Pinnacle, NWA, AA, and possibly even MESA are furloghing. Delta has over 500 pilots on furlough with no recalls. Usairways has 1900 furloughed and is probably furloughing more as they park more aircraft. United is a long way from hiring off the street. CAL is the only major hiring. I hardly call it a hiring boom.
Don't be such a naysayer! This is a sure sign of an industry turnaround. After the initial 300 are recalled in 2006 there are only 1800 more to recall starting in 2007. At this rate steet hiring could begin at UAL as early as 2012. Yup.....the time is now to prepare for the future.
 

skykid

On Point
Joined
Jan 24, 2002
Posts
759
Total Time
6000
Regardless, it is great news for furloughees who want to go back. I predict that unless there is another major terrrorist event (which I consider only a matter of time), United will get through the list in 2 or 3 years. There are a ton of guys, furloughed or active, who have moved on and will never come back. I won't be back.
 

logolight

Air Wisconsin
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Posts
236
Total Time
10000
WhiteCloud said:
Don't be such a naysayer! This is a sure sign of an industry turnaround. After the initial 300 are recalled in 2006 there are only 1800 more to recall starting in 2007. At this rate steet hiring could begin at UAL as early as 2012. Yup.....the time is now to prepare for the future.
Get your resume into Independence. They'll need the pilots to replace all the furloughs.
 

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Posts
1,802
Total Time
>5000
FreightNazi said:
What's there to come bact to at UAL?
That is a good question. One argument is the falling pay scales at other majors will soon match UAL's. UAL still has very good international routes and has lined up solid financing. In a couple of years they may be the most profitable and stable international carrier. CAL will probably be there too.
 

FreightNazi

not an ACMI
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Posts
460
Total Time
lots
FlyBoeingJets said:
That is a good question. One argument is the falling pay scales at other majors will soon match UAL's. UAL still has very good international routes and has lined up solid financing. In a couple of years they may be the most profitable and stable international carrier. CAL will probably be there too.

So what that they have international routes. What's the point of coming back to work there for crappy pay, no pension and crappy work rules?
 

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Posts
1,802
Total Time
>5000
FreightNazi said:
So what that they have international routes. What's the point of coming back to work there for crappy pay, no pension and crappy work rules?
They may not have anything better lined up. But I agree with you. They should be looking for something better. Some of those "better" jobs are getting harder to find.
 

TransMach

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Posts
492
Total Time
>12K
Ual

FlyBoeingJets said:
That is a good question. One argument is the falling pay scales at other majors will soon match UAL's. UAL still has very good international routes and has lined up solid financing. In a couple of years they may be the most profitable and stable international carrier. CAL will probably be there too.

Yes, except that everyone is thinking that Emirates (very close to the word "pirates") is gonna clean everybody's clock as it becomes the new Southwest of the international arena. They are 35% cheaper, seat by seat on any city pair served by UAL, DAL, NWA, British, Air France, Lufthansa or KLM. They have a baskek full of new B777s and 787s on order and are financed by British crown investors. The britts are making Dubai their new "Hong Kong" and Emirates is going to be their ambassador service.

If you add in just a little cabatoge, UAL is just as screwed as the other legacy carriers. They have to change or die and UAL continues to prove that it can't change.

TransMach
 

dojetdriver

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Posts
1,998
Total Time
7000
logolight said:
Comair, Mesaba, Pinnacle, NWA, AA, and possibly even MESA are furloghing. Delta has over 500 pilots on furlough with no recalls. Usairways has 1900 furloughed and is probably furloughing more as they park more aircraft. United is a long way from hiring off the street. CAL is the only major hiring. I hardly call it a hiring boom.
Dude, after reading all the stuff you post on the unofficial comapny message board, I can't believe you actually took that guys comment seriously.
 
Top