Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pulling your chain!

logolight said:
Comair, Mesaba, Pinnacle, NWA, AA, and possibly even MESA are furloghing. Delta has over 500 pilots on furlough with no recalls. Usairways has 1900 furloughed and is probably furloughing more as they park more aircraft. United is a long way from hiring off the street. CAL is the only major hiring. I hardly call it a hiring boom.

Don't be such a naysayer! This is a sure sign of an industry turnaround. After the initial 300 are recalled in 2006 there are only 1800 more to recall starting in 2007. At this rate steet hiring could begin at UAL as early as 2012. Yup.....the time is now to prepare for the future.

Regardless, it is great news for furloughees who want to go back. I predict that unless there is another major terrrorist event (which I consider only a matter of time), United will get through the list in 2 or 3 years. There are a ton of guys, furloughed or active, who have moved on and will never come back. I won't be back.

WhiteCloud said:
Don't be such a naysayer! This is a sure sign of an industry turnaround. After the initial 300 are recalled in 2006 there are only 1800 more to recall starting in 2007. At this rate steet hiring could begin at UAL as early as 2012. Yup.....the time is now to prepare for the future.
Get your resume into Independence. They'll need the pilots to replace all the furloughs.

FreightNazi said:
What's there to come bact to at UAL?

That is a good question. One argument is the falling pay scales at other majors will soon match UAL's. UAL still has very good international routes and has lined up solid financing. In a couple of years they may be the most profitable and stable international carrier. CAL will probably be there too.

FlyBoeingJets said:
That is a good question. One argument is the falling pay scales at other majors will soon match UAL's. UAL still has very good international routes and has lined up solid financing. In a couple of years they may be the most profitable and stable international carrier. CAL will probably be there too.

So what that they have international routes. What's the point of coming back to work there for crappy pay, no pension and crappy work rules?

FreightNazi said:
So what that they have international routes. What's the point of coming back to work there for crappy pay, no pension and crappy work rules?

They may not have anything better lined up. But I agree with you. They should be looking for something better. Some of those "better" jobs are getting harder to find.

Ual

FlyBoeingJets said:

Yes, except that everyone is thinking that Emirates (very close to the word "pirates") is gonna clean everybody's clock as it becomes the new Southwest of the international arena. They are 35% cheaper, seat by seat on any city pair served by UAL, DAL, NWA, British, Air France, Lufthansa or KLM. They have a baskek full of new B777s and 787s on order and are financed by British crown investors. The britts are making Dubai their new "Hong Kong" and Emirates is going to be their ambassador service.

If you add in just a little cabatoge, UAL is just as screwed as the other legacy carriers. They have to change or die and UAL continues to prove that it can't change.

TransMach

logolight said:
Comair, Mesaba, Pinnacle, NWA, AA, and possibly even MESA are furloghing. Delta has over 500 pilots on furlough with no recalls. Usairways has 1900 furloughed and is probably furloughing more as they park more aircraft. United is a long way from hiring off the street. CAL is the only major hiring. I hardly call it a hiring boom.

Dude, after reading all the stuff you post on the unofficial comapny message board, I can't believe you actually took that guys comment seriously.

Latest resources

Back