• Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airline pilot central dot com, will answer all your questions

For pay reference airlinepilotcentral.com
Anticipated domiciles and equipment to be awarded out of training
757/767-NYC
737-NYC, IAH, SFO, ORD
A320-IAH, IAD, NYC

Is Guam voluntary?
No, but if they have positions for that class there are usually enough volunteers as you can make some good money there. A new hire can go from off the street to $97.25/hr + $3000/mo in six weeks.

"At his option, a Pilot assigned to Guam who is in his first year of employment shall receive an eighteen (18) month Base freeze and be paid using the second-year pay rate (in Status), or no Base freeze and be paid using the first-year pay rate."

"Pilots staffed to flying positions in the Guam Base shall receive, in addition to all other compensation, a Foreign Base Allowance in the amount of $3,000 per month for each month of Active Service."

"Pilots transferring or assigned to the Guam Base shall be entitled to a paid move to Guam, provided they remain in Guam for a minimum of eighteen (18) months of Active Service....A Pilot who received a paid move to Guam and has provided thirty-six (36) months of Active Service on Guam shall be entitled to a paid move from Guam."

Last edited:
Based on the Vacancy Bid results that were posted yesterday and to be filled/trained by January 31st for the February bid month, the I filled vacancies are as listed:

JFK 320 FO - 13 unfilled
ORD 320 FO - 20
IAH 320 FO - 9
DCA 320 FO - 8
EWR 737 FO - 10
JFK 767 FO - 12

Vacancies bids are replacing the old System Bids and are issued monthly.

First year pay is $60.92/hr, increasing to $66.10/hr January 1st. Second year pay is $101.47 for most narrowbodies in 2014.

The latest class isn't a great reflection of what to expect, but the class of 12 all got 737 EWR. Their nickname is 'the Sewark 12'. That's a one-off IMHO; most classes have been 737 EWR and IAH (a few 756 EWR) and everyone who wants to go to GUM, as long as they talk to someone on day one, will usually get that. What happened in my class is two IAH 737 slots were converted to GUM slots.

GUM - not voluntary, but if as long as some newhires raise their hand and volunteer, there shouldn't be invol GUM slots. The base isn't big enough (and there's not enough FO movement out of there) to force invols into the base.

145BOSS posted unfilled vacancies from the latest bid. Those should end up going to newhires. However, there's an issue of LUAL furloughees and seat locks. Some of us want to bid off of the guppy and over to fifi; I don't know of anyone who was able to. I have a standing bid for fifi out of LAX and my 24 month guppy seat lock ends in a few months.
We could get into a debate over different aircraft, but I much prefer fifi over the guppy.

For any newhire, I highly recommend avoiding the 756, as you'll be on reserve forever. And reserve sucks. Stick with 737 or A320 and wait until you can hold a bigger aircraft off of reserve.

It's going to take a while for everything to shake out, but the bases that I'd expect going junior in the future are:
EWR - Sewark by a mile. Toss NYC into the mix, as that will all be the same.
IAH and SFO behind EWR
ORD - it may be senior for a little while but once the hiring machine gets in full gear, ORD will become easier to get

The hardest bases to get:
SEA - I think every FO there could be in the left seat anywhere else
DEN - There have been some newhire classes with DEN in the past but there weren't many.
CLE - Small base; most pilots seem happy to stay there

Middle of the road
LAX, IAD

For any newhire that desires to go to somewhere like DEN or CLE, I'd recommend bidding guppy. Add A320 for DEN. That way you should be able to get a lateral to that base.
Don't take a 756 if you're thinking about taking a lateral. You'll probably be stuck at that base for your entire 24 month seatlock. On reserve.

Hope this helps; please remember that things can change on a moment's notice so this information will probably be out of date as soon as I hit send.

Latest resources

Back