• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Start Pay and Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great info, thanks!! So there's an initial equip lock of 24 months?

Great info, thanks!! So there's an initial equip lock of 24 months?

Sorry, I should have clarified. 24 month seatlock for lateral purposes ... going from guppy to fifi and vice versa. Or going from 777 to 787 to 747. In same seat.
You can upgrade to left seat and/or upgrade to higher paying equipment prior to 24 months (seat lock doesn't apply for upward movement).

Well since 21% of CAL pilots were stapled below every single UAL pilot with a job I think it's safe to say EWR and IAH will be junior for a while. And forget EWR 756 as the most junior pilot who got in on this bid will be 14% on the base bid list. How ironic, senior UAL folks bailing from paradise to fly our jumbos while due to their overstaffing we are effectively fenced off from theirs. Fair and equitable my a$$

Well since 21% of CAL pilots were stapled below every single UAL pilot with a job I think it's safe to say EWR and IAH will be junior for a while. And forget EWR 756 as the most junior pilot who got in on this bid will be 14% on the base bid list. How ironic, senior UAL folks bailing from paradise to fly our jumbos while due to their overstaffing we are effectively fenced off from theirs. Fair and equitable my a$$

Aww poor baby. Really I'm listening to you and caring, really. I'm senior to a guy hired in '98 that gave me a Piper Arrow checkout. Fair and equitable my a$$.

Aww poor baby. Really I'm listening to you and caring, really. I'm senior to a guy hired in '98 that gave me a Piper Arrow checkout. Fair and equitable my a$$.

Thank you, Nimtz.
I was dovetailed between two CAL furloughees with barely more than a year longevity in Oct 10, while I had more than 5 years longevity at UAL in Oct 10.

It's done. I could whine about where I was placed but I'm looking forward and moving on. Anyone still whining about the SLI is a gnat's a$$ above a scab.

Thank you, Nimtz.
I was dovetailed between two CAL furloughees with barely more than a year longevity in Oct 10, while I had more than 5 years longevity at UAL in Oct 10.

It's done. I could whine about where I was placed but I'm looking forward and moving on. Anyone still whining about the SLI is a gnat's a$$ above a scab.

Bump.

Time for licking wounds are over boys - suck it up. Unless of course you are happily teamed up with a large group of SCABS that are trying to raise 30K for a retainer. In that case please devote every single extra penny of your paycheck to that cause but make sure when it fails to bury the BS and move on.

Andy- I agree with your assessment (Ewr 737 FO L-CAL). Think eventually the A320 and 737 will even out or will inertia keep the Bus senior? I'd like to hop over there but don't want to go from 30% in seat to reserve.

Andy- I agree with your assessment (Ewr 737 FO L-CAL). Think eventually the A320 and 737 will even out or will inertia keep the Bus senior? I'd like to hop over there but don't want to go from 30% in seat to reserve.

There are a lot of retirements coming up, more on the LUAL side than the LCAL side. I would expect to see quite a bit of movement off of the A320FO seat but if I were you, I probably wouldn't make the jump until I was able to hold a line on the A320. It probably won't be that long for you.
I would expect that A320/737 will be fairly even in terms of seniority. There are a lot of pilots who would never fly anything but a Boeing. I think that's mostly due to never flying an Airbus.
If I'm able to get an A320 out of LAX (from 737 LAX) in the next 6 months, I'll go from near bottom lineholder to reserve. To me, it's worth it because it's so much more enjoyable of a plane to fly.

Reserve sucks today. When all new CBA provisions turn on joint CMS (around first of year) reserve will be much better. With everyone starting out on long call 13 hours to push. A true FIFO system (so those junior will not get extra flying due to not always being top if call out list- much fairer system then currently). I'm told the average conversion from long to short call at LUAL is two to three times per month. While reserve will always not be any where as good as a line holder the improvements in QOL under the JCBA on reserve (when fully implemented) will be much better. Something to consider if you bid EWR 756 FO especially since most of the flying is to Europe.

Just my two cents. Welcome to all new hires look forward to flying with you.

Reserve sucks today. When all new CBA provisions turn on joint CMS (around first of year) reserve will be much better. With everyone starting out on long call 13 hours to push. A true FIFO system (so those junior will not get extra flying due to not always being top if call out list- much fairer system then currently). I'm told the average conversion from long to short call at LUAL is two to three times per month. While reserve will always not be any where as good as a line holder the improvements in QOL under the JCBA on reserve (when fully implemented) will be much better. Something to consider if you bid EWR 756 FO especially since most of the flying is to Europe.

Just my two cents. Welcome to all new hires look forward to flying with you.
I agree that it will be much improved. I don't think short-call conversions will remain low. Up until now the great majority of reserve is already short-call via award. Only 10 to 20% has been long call (the cap on long-call awards was lifted this month, but that's a separate issue). So long to short-call conversions are fairly low. I expect when all reserves are long call they will be converting a significant percentage to short-call every day. They'll have to cover all the departure blocks with short-call reserves.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back