United selling DEN training center?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

roughneck

I heard this morning that United has put the Denver training center up for sale. Anyone know if this is true? details?

Two sure signs your airline is about to liquidate:

1) Your training center goes away.

2) The pop machines in the crew room are gone.

Number 1 means you may have up to a year or so.

Number 2 means the vending machine man knows something you don't....That his contract has not been renewed because very soon there will be no one there to buy his wares.

When Number 2 happens, I highly recommend going on LTD immediately.

Should, woulda, coulda, in my sorry azz case.

I'm just sayin'.

YKMKR

Last edited:
Looks like they tried it in 1993 also.

COMPANY NEWS; UNITED AIRLINES WANTS TO SELL TRAINING BASE

Published: Saturday, March 27, 1993

United Airlines executives have decided the carrier should sell its flight training base in Denver but plan to conduct a monthlong study before seeking buyers, the president of the parent UAL Corporation, John Pope, said yesterday. United, like other airlines, has been searching for ways to lower costs. United put its 17 flight kitchens up for sale last month.
The airline has 25 high-tech flight simulators and two older models at the training center, where pilots learn to fly different kinds of airplanes and prepare for promotion to captain. Mr. Pope said he was confident the 430 employees at the center and the 5,800 workers connected with the flight kitchens would find jobs with the new owners

This should surprise no one. It is one of the last things they own that they can get cash for.

I bet SWA buys it. ;)

It's been for sale for a while now. Don't need it, farming out the flying to other carriers. Was there a few weeks back with my new job and it is just sad. I saw it in it's hey day, 100 pilots a month it was fun.They even took out the 8 ball across the street at the tree, forgot the name of the bar there.

Too funny....if you merge do you need 2 training centers?

I think we still have 2 training centers at the new DL. Although Natco up in MSP does a lot of Airbus stuff and DC9 stuff, planes that we don't fly at DL. Also, if we keep those bases up North, maybe it would be cheaper to fly those pilots flying those planes to MSP, rather than everyone to ATL, since Virginia Ave only has so many hotel rooms available too. (not the nicest area of town...) If you consolidate all of the aircraft to 3 or 4 types, maybe you can do it. We have more than that here at the new DL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

TA??? yeah but it's still top secret..sh don't tell anyone. Next week we will know. It's a TA only if it's "cost neutral"

Latest resources

Back