• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

United Recall Plans for 2006

250scp

Active member
Joined
May 9, 2002
Posts
30
Total Time
5500
Dear Fellow Pilot,
I wanted to send you the Hotline I just recorded about our plans for
2006 recalls.
Capt. Steve Forte


GUIDANCE ON 2006 RECALLS / NUMBER ONE IN ON-TIME ARRIVALS

Good afternoon. This is Captain Steve Forte on Tuesday, October 4.

Several weeks ago we promised to share some guidance on our plans to
recall pilots in 2006. We are pleased to say that we currently plan to
recall a minimum of 20 pilots each month, with a yearly total that will
likely exceed 300 pilot recalls. As always, this guidance is dependent
on projected 2006 flying levels. We will have more details as soon as
our plans are firmed up.


Doesn't quite bring all the furloughees back on campus but its a start in the right direction. I'll be curious to see how many choose to bypass. Current DOH to be offered recall is 05/99. Good luck to all.
 

aa73

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Posts
2,075
Total Time
10K
Great news UAL guys... we here at AA are hoping to get a similar letter soon.
 

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
250scp said:
Current DOH to be offered recall is 05/99. Good luck to all.

Well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick . . . . . according to the sharp stick!
 

bayoubandit

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2002
Posts
272
Total Time
5000+
aa73 said:
Great news UAL guys... we here at AA are hoping to get a similar letter soon.
Your kidding right? With the way Hunter is running things recalls are getting further and further away.

It's like having a double dose of Skywest!
 

aa73

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Posts
2,075
Total Time
10K
bayoubandit said:
Your kidding right? With the way Hunter is running things recalls are getting further and further away.

It's like having a double dose of Skywest!
No, I'm not kidding... maybe just too naive/optimistic. We just had 60+ early retirements yesterday on top of the normal retirements, and it's gonna continue. We are probably at least a year and a half from getting pref bidding, and that takes a good two years to implement, so recalls next year would not be out of the question.

Hunter definitely ticks me off, though. No doubt.
 

NAA Pilot

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Posts
103
Total Time
11,001
aa73 said:
No, I'm not kidding... maybe just too naive/optimistic. We just had 60+ early retirements yesterday on top of the normal retirements, and it's gonna continue. We are probably at least a year and a half from getting pref bidding, and that takes a good two years to implement, so recalls next year would not be out of the question.

Hunter definitely ticks me off, though. No doubt.
AA just announced cancelling flights. Jet-A is at record highs. Preff bid is NOT the only efficiency that Hunter IS going to give the company. When he does give pref-bid, it will be implimented in record time and the company WILL abuse it (ie. supp w, TTOT, etc. etc.). Hunter and senior pilots will do ANYTHING to save the pension including selling out our (junior pilots) careers.

The 2894 pilots that are currently furloughed will be for a LONG time. A token few may be recalled next year but NOWHERE near the amount that United is reporting. My uneducated guess is less than 150 will be recalled in 2006. Maybe 200 more in 2007.

The early retirments you mention are early by an average of 9 months.... not much help there.
 

stlflyguy

UL Listed
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Posts
312
Total Time
11600
Wait and see what happens with Supp CC now that an arbitrator has to rule on the execution issues! I suspect more pilots will be back...at the behest of the company and the APA.

I would think Supp CC would be up for change/elimination in the future.
 

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
4,911
Total Time
+/-13k
Pref bidding will save the company about 90 jobs system wide. That's it. Demand staffing (which hasn't reared its ugly head yet) is where the 10% + savings in staffing comes in.

The union has said that under no circumstances will it allow Pref Bidding unless the union runs it. Management doesn't really have a problem with that. (Except for Roy Everett who hopefully will be out of a job when PB starts. How's it feel, Roy?)

Lots of sabre rattling about Sup. CC but the DFR issue looms heavy...;)

Overall, not holding my breath on the recall as I am sitting about 250 out.TC
 

aa73

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Posts
2,075
Total Time
10K
Well, I agree with you guys. Still, 150-200 next year is a step in the right direction. I think we will be early-retiring a bunch more guys as each month goes by. What I'm worried about is, the senior guys selling out AA's scope to Eagle in exchange for the retirement. That will definitely lop off another 1000 or so bodies.

If nothing changes for a year, though, I bet we will see at least a few recalls next year.
 

festus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Posts
124
Total Time
8000+
Hey All:

Has United offered any new incentives for guys to retire early?
 

Pat Fabin

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Posts
252
Total Time
A lot
Pref bidding has been valued at 400 pilots jobs here at DAL...and we only have 6500 left. I'm not so sure that 90 number for you AMR guys is realistic. Managements like PBS for a reason....
 

FutureTEDpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Posts
174
Total Time
9500+
At least it beats the "Furloughs will continue" that Forte was famous for.

Anyone know if the recalls are for the A320 or 737/300?
 

F/O

Smells like....
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Posts
485
Total Time
8000
240 are scheduled to retire from UAL in 2006. That matches up with the 20/month figure.

So, if the figure is closer to 300, we may be taking back 60 more than is necessary to cover attrition. Not earth shattering, but better than nothing. There will be bypasses which will make recalls go a bit deeper.
 

Mugs

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Posts
500
Total Time
8,800
The last vacancy bid award came out 2 weeks ago. The unfilled positions were all on the -300. The bid award was a fairly small one overall, with the unfilled positions being 7 ORD 300 F/O and 5 IAD 300 F/O. That is just one snapshot and I would expect the recalls to be going to the -320 also in the months ahead, as they have been in prior months. No matter what happens, it will be great to see more of you guys coming back.
 

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
4,911
Total Time
+/-13k
Pat Fabin said:
Pref bidding has been valued at 400 pilots jobs here at DAL...and we only have 6500 left. I'm not so sure that 90 number for you AMR guys is realistic. Managements like PBS for a reason....
That's because PB is usually packaged with the other savings of demand staffing (allowing everyone to pick up trips from open time without restrictions other than balancing to stay under the FAR's). Demand staffing will cost AA 10% of it's jobs.

Right now, AMR still has to negotiate with APA unlike the other carriers who have free-fallen into Ch. 11 and can use the 1113 tool.TC
 

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Posts
803
Total Time
28 yrs
Mugs said:
The last vacancy bid award came out 2 weeks ago. The unfilled positions were all on the -300. The bid award was a fairly small one overall, with the unfilled positions being 7 ORD 300 F/O and 5 IAD 300 F/O. That is just one snapshot and I would expect the recalls to be going to the -320 also in the months ahead, as they have been in prior months. No matter what happens, it will be great to see more of you guys coming back.
Is there still a -300 base in SEA? Any more credible threats of closing SEA?
What is the hire date of the junior SEA pilot?

Will have a decision to make late next year.

Thanks for any information.

Cheers!

GP
 

FutureTEDpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Posts
174
Total Time
9500+
I plan on getting the recall early next year (8/99 DOH) so I guess I need to make a decision. As much as I hate to say it the new UAL payrates are starting to look "good" (gulp...I said that?) compared to what is out there.

I really am a "Future TED Pilot"
 

XTW

XCA Monkey
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Posts
698
Total Time
11600
AA717driver said:
Overall, not holding my breath on the recall as I am sitting about 250 out.TC
That's interesting since I'm 600+ out.

X
 

FutureTEDpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Posts
174
Total Time
9500+
I thought this was a thread on UAL RECALLS...how did the AA guys jump in here and throw us off topic?

Start another thread for AA recalls, and let us UAL guys(yes..and girls too, we are United ha ha!) haev a glimmer of good news all to own!

Just kidding.....but not really
 

Mugs

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Posts
500
Total Time
8,800
GuppyPuppy said:
Is there still a -300 base in SEA? Any more credible threats of closing SEA?
What is the hire date of the junior SEA pilot?

Will have a decision to make late next year.

Thanks for any information.

Cheers!

GP
I am out of the loop on SEA. I checked the list and yes there still is a -300 base. It is small -- the list showed only about 30 F/Os with the junior guy being a May 1997 hire it looks like. Small base, decreased fleet size ---hard to say what the future of the SEA -300 base is but rumors of it closing are understandable.
 
Top