• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United posts $779 million loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA pulled out of IAH in a deal with CAL about direct flights to or from somewhere. I forgot the details, it was a while ago. Back to your childish bickering.

Is it just me, or does anyone find it fairly impressive that United even HAD a quarter of a billion dollars to even flush down the toilet in 90 days.

Impressive indeed!

Hey. United has a GREAT route system. Inefficiency and implementation is the key - aint apparently Glenn Tilton isn't the man to do it.

Gup

SWA pulled out of IAH in a deal with CAL about direct flights to or from somewhere. I forgot the details, it was a while ago. Back to your childish bickering.

CAL flew CLE to HOU and SWA took exception to it. A deal was cut, and IMHO, SWA pussed out.

I particularly loved Glen's message line. Two paragraphs about getting hammered by fuel prices. Not one word mentioning that the 130/bbl prices were self-imposed through incompetent hedging.

The problem is that 99% of the press/investors/employees that read his explanation will think "Man, they really got killed by those fuel prices. I think I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken on the way home and watch Springer tonight".

PIPE

Well you may not agree with me and some do and don't. This is a cut throat industry. If every airline does great and everyone made money, life would be great. Well the simple fact is that this is not the case. Some companies are going to beat others for one of them to succeed. There is no other way about it. I just want my team to win. Plain and simple. Call it callous, call it ignorant.... call it honest. If the shoes were changed I would be pissed just like you and you would ringing the bell like me. I just hope that never happens. The fact that this is not a personal thing...it is a business thing. We keep forgetting that.

I'm not pissed. I am a realist - that's why I took a voluntary furlough to get away from the whole airline debacle. Honesty is good - but so is tact and humility. If you are a student of this industry, then you know that airlines rise and airlines fall. You may think you hit the airline "jackpot" at LUV - go ahead and enjoy that feeling. Just remember that giants do fall and "shoes do change". You hope that never happens at LUV - good - keep hoping. I hope for your sake it does not either. I promise you one thing though, if you ever find yourself in those shoes, as thousands of your colleages in this business have, it will feel very personal.

That was the scent of the 800 pound gorrilla that follows your "success" around.

Hobby? Not fragrant.

There you go trying to sniff my ass again! I gotta admit this is funny. Silly but funny. Two grown men in a pissing contest via the internet - neither of which can do a damn thing to alter the path their CEO's choose. I hope you have a long and prosperous career in IAH. I'll stick to the west coast flying my corndog.

Gup

Why can't UAL just give up and shut down? Make room for the strong carriers!!!!

Latest resources

Back