• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United partial gear up in EWR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was wondering if the RAT deployed because the airplane sensed it was still airborne (with no weight on the right main gear) with no hydraulic or electrical power available after engine shutdown.

I don't know anything about Airbus systems but I was just curious. My systems knowledge in general is getting very rusty.

I would bet you are correct.

Am I the only one who's wondering why they chose to land in EWR instead of JFK with its longer landing distance available (and less of a crosswind)?

They did a good job with the landing and, obviously, everything turned out ok. But why would you not stack the deck in your favor?

I'd rather dedicate my mental bandwidth to things other than briefing a whole new airport, unless there was a compelling reason to change the existing plan.

The latest;

A United Airlines Airbus A319-100, registration N816UA performing flight UA-634 from Chicago O'Hare,IL to Newark,NJ (USA) with 48 passengers and 5 crew, aborted the approach to Newark's runway 04R when the crew received an unsafe indication for the right hand main gear. The airplane entered a holding for troubleshooting, performed a low approach to runway 11 for a visual inspection of the landing gear and subsequently landed on runway 04L without the right main gear being locked about 35 minutes after aborting the first approach. The airplane came to a stop on the left main and nose gear and the right hand engine, the passengers were evacuated via slides. No injuries occured.

United Airlines said, that the right hand main gear failed to deploy in full. Three passsengers reported very minor injuries but declined any medical treatment. The passenger ticket's will be refunded and the passengers are going to receive vouchers toward a future trip.

The FAA reported, that the right hand main gear did not extend.

The airport reported, that the airport was closed for about 20 minutes. The closure and the lack of one runway causes delays of up to 100 minutes.

Passengers reported, that the captain made an announcement some time after the go-around saying: "We are going to have an unusual landing." further explaining, they would have to land without one of the main gear struts. Upon final approach the crew ordered brace position and settled the airplane on the left hand main gear, nose gear and the right hand engine sending sparks, the airplane kept going straight until full stop. Smoke of unknown origin was observed, the evacuation was initiated.

Runway 04L/22R is currently still closed (Jan 11th 07:30Z).

JFK?

They considered it but John Corzine had an important meeting in the meadowlands so he wipped out his 9 and bust a cap in the floor in protest causing the aforementioned hydraulic and fuel to depart the aircraft.

100-1/2

Great job pilots on a safe landing... I think UAUA will have to worry more about the fact there were only 48 pax on board while most flew full yesterday...

Latest resources

Back