• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United or American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First one to offer you a job and you will know at the end of your career if you made the right choice. I would leap at either one.

I look at my highly qualified squadron mates and the moves they made. Like leaving leaving DAL fro Pam Am in 1968,FedEx for Braniff I in 1978, it folded in 1982. We had another guy bail from GM Corp in 1979 for Braniff; he would have been at GM through the glory years. How about all the guys who bailed from SWA, UPS and FedEx for the major jobs at DAL, AAL, UAL etc in 2000. You just never know.

I reported aboard CVAN-65 USS Enterprise in 1975. At that time civilian flying jobs a scarce. I meet this guy who is getting out, going to work for company doing overnight mail, paid $400/mo for a F/O's job, he had to use his GI bill for training in the right seat of the DA-20. The company must have had a gov't contract I thought with a name like Federal Express. He stayed at FedEx, ran across him at a CO's conference in the late 80's he was like a double-digit seniority number.

Long term, 50/50 on both. From a today stand point, United. Better contract, work rules and money.

Whichever one that allows you not to commute. So many retirements at AA, if you are a Texan, pick them.

I reported aboard CVAN-65 USS Enterprise in 1975. At that time civilian flying jobs a scarce. I meet this guy who is getting out, going to work for company doing overnight mail, paid $400/mo for a F/O's job, he had to use his GI bill for training in the right seat of the DA-20. The company must have had a gov't contract I thought with a name like Federal Express. He stayed at FedEx, ran across him at a CO's conference in the late 80's he was like a double-digit seniority number.

And he's dead now. What's your point?

My 2 cents:
Same $hit, different paint job. I went to US Air last year for 6 months, right after the merger was announced, and then jumped ship for UA, solely for the reason I live in a UA hub and stronghold. You can't go wrong with either one; i questioned my move after last years disastrous first quarter for UA but I truly believe the big 3 are all so similar you just have to go with whoever hires you first or given the option has a base where you live. Yes AA has more retirements but also keep in mind UA shrunk before the merger to make it happen and AA is shrinking now post merger. UA is growing mainline now at a pretty good click and shrinking express, and AA is doing the opposite. I think upgrade time will be very similar at both. Don't get so caught up in current contract or reserve rules or blah blah blah, if you have the choice go with whoever has a base in your hometown. FWIW i had fun for my brief stint at US but I really prefer the culture at UA.

And he's dead now. What's your point?

And your point is? My point was you never know about that job when start out. In fact this guy was going to get me an interview at FedEx, but who would want to fly DA-20 's in the middle of the night:eek:

Come on jonjuan, the only point he ever has is don't go to college.
You are out of line, I have never said not to go to college, what I have said is it has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

More in more in the county are starting to question the waste of money a college degree is for many.

Now all that being said, I realize the top 4-5 airlines make the degree thing a shop stopper, so if you want to work at those place you must complete at least an on-line degree from Bubble-Bee State in Gender studies.

The degree is only needed for the last career move, and like some our pilots without degree, they let our company pay for their degrees while building TJ PIC getting ready for the next move. I have seen too any succeed following this path.

Last edited:
You are out of line, I have never said not to go to college, what I have said is it has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

And yet, ironically, it's required to hired at any reputable, well paying company. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Good luck not having one.

Latest resources

Back