• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United new hire class seniority?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
True, back to reality. Forgot why I only visit and post on these sites every couple of years. It always leaves me feeling empty and sorry for folks that lead there lives on here. Good Luck and Good Night

+1 see you on line lets all pull the same way as we have lots to work through.

Chairman

As PVB said...done by age...as it has been done at l-CAL which is the subsidiary doing the hiring.

As PVB said...done by age...as it has been done at l-CAL which is the subsidiary doing the hiring.

That's likely the way that it will be done in the future, as 1) LUAL won't be new pilot hiring prior to SLI and 2) once SLI is complete, UCH will use only one method. And I expect that method to be based on age.

I benefitted from LUAL's system, as I have a last four of 0xxx, hired at 39. I probably would have been ~10th in my class of 28 instead of #3. In spite of that, I think that age-based is the fairest way of determining class seniority.

Scrapdog and Chairman, thanks for defusing another potential war of words. Tensions are high due to SLI hearings but all of that is out of our hands; three arbitrators will make the final list. The vast majority of both subsidiaries will feel sleighted with the results but that's human nature. Let's hope that very few carry a grudge for very long.

I've enjoyed flying with LCAL crews and have only encountered a few individuals with chips on their shoulders over the merger. The merger was above our paygrade - we're simply paid to move metal from point A to point B. In a professional manner.

Thank you guys for the info. Is it a crap shoot as to what aircraft you get placed on or do most new hires get 737 or 320?

Nope Chairman, not interested in training on an airplane that will be off property in a couple of years. I am a happy 2006 hire flying the 777 getting 20 days off a month. This is my fifth airline and I guess you think I should go to the back of the line again despite the fact I finally got lucky with a solid airline. Sorry not interested in trading places as bad as a feel about your position, been there numerous times. Sincerely
What airline is this?!

In spite of that, I think that age-based is the fairest way of determining class seniority.

Can I ask why you think that? I realize in an airline with over 10k pilots that a few numbers probably don't matter, and the younger guy will see the older guys in his class retire before him, but I've been screwed by 1 number in furloughs and recalls. Being the younger guy, I have still put my time in and had guys 15 years older than me with half the experience end up way above me because of age. Most of those situations were because someone made a career change. Shouldn't the younger folks be rewarded for making it to a major early, rather than being punished for knowing what they wanted to do from a young age and pursuing it? Just my thoughts, not necessarily right...

Thanks for the info everyone.

Can someone explain how Guam works. I've heard you get a $3,000 a month housing allowance. Do you also skip 1st year pay scale? (Rumor) How is it out in Guam? Is the $3,000 enough to find a nice place? Are you locked into the base for a certain time period? Do you need a car?

Thanks for the info

Can I ask why you think that?

the younger guy will see the older guys in his class retire before him,

You answered your own question. I expressed an opinion; it is simply an opinion. Since the logic behind my opinion was easily deducible, why did you feel the need to ask the question?

As to any objections to such a system, there will be objections to ANY system of rank ordering a class. Some more valid than others.

Latest resources

Back