United Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those that are too lazy:

To be considered for the pilot position at United Airlines, you must possess the following minimum qualifications at the time of application. Those who do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered as applicants by United Airlines:
  • 1500 hours Total Time - Fixed Wing.
  • 1000 hours Multi-engine time (PIC) or Military fighter/trainer (PIC).
  • 500 hours Turbine Time.
  • 100 hours flown in the past year (Recency of experience).
  • Current FCC license.
  • Current valid passport.
  • Current First Class Medical.
  • Current ATP Certificate with Multi-engine land rating (AMEL).
  • High school diploma or GED equivalent.
  • Legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship.
  • A college degree from an accredited school is preferred.
Please note that PIC is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls. United only considers pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications.
United is preparing to commence pilot hiring later this year. If you are interested in becoming a United pilot, please continue to check this page for more information.

Interesting requirements, vis-a-vis the CAL and DAL minimums, as well as UA's old minimums.

Wow, those are some very high minimums. Does anyone have higher minimums? I have to admit I am pretty surprised! The last time United was hiring, the minimums were much lower. I guess supply was much tighter back then. I wonder if they will be able to tap the number and quality of applicants they are hoping for. I guess Delta has lower minimums, but they have been filling classes with pretty highly experienced people. I guess we'll see in a few weeks when the process kicks into gear.

It seems pretty typical to me. The mins are pretty reasonable(to lowish) as I see it but they've thrown in a monkey wrench: 1000 Multi PIC. Very few people with 1500 TT are going to have 1000 of that as listed PIC in a multi. So it's sort of self-regulating.

It's like those overseas contracts: 1000 TT with 500 in 747(or A320, etc). that just doesn't occur in nature over here very much.

Yeah, those are high minimums, at least compared to others (CAL and Delta anyway) . Not the total time as much as the 1000 PIC-multiengine and ATP rating. Not many people are able to meet the 1000PIC-ME requirement with 1500 hours total.

Those numbers don't mean squat. To be competitive for an interview, you're going to have to have a lot more than that.

Latest resources

Back